BrianT LM4780 DC offset

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

I had just completed 6 BrianT LM4780 KITS set, I did a test Bench Test for all the 6 commpleted module with individual large heatsink by connecting a toroidal transformer with 2 secondary 0-18 VAC (5A) to the module each at a time, the DC offset for the 6 module read 150mVDC +/- 10mVDC with the signal cable open, with the signal cable shorted to ground, all 6 module DC offset read at 15mVDC +/- 1mVDC........

When connected a high efficientcy speaker driver (100db/w/m) to each individual module, they is no audioble noise at all...........and when I touch the signal cable, they is some noise on the speaker driver which show the amp are able to amplifier signal.

Is the above mention DC offset symptom normal????????

Any input from you would be much appreciated..........

Many Thanks ...............

SEIJI said:
150mVDC +/- 10mVDC with the signal cable open

I am pretty sure thats normal and you should not measure the offset with with open signal anyway.

SEIJI said:
with the signal cable shorted to ground, all 6 module DC offset read at 15mVDC +/- 1mVDC........
Is the above mention DC offset symptom normal????????

15mV is pretty good!! alot of people have upto 75mV and are not concerned at all ;)
If it bothers you, you can add Ci caps whioh is mentioned here along with plenty of other info about DC-offset:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=41133

Thank you so much for all the kind reply, the chasis will be fabricate in 5 days time to accomodate the 6 module, is the CI cap need's to be place right at the input of the PCB board or it can be place at the input connector (in my case the neutrik XLR jack) which is about 6-8 inch away form the PCB board?

As the LM4780 will be connected to the output of electronic crossover which already has a output 22uF cap, do I still need the CI cap in this case?

Thanks agian for your kind reply...........

The input cap and the "Ci" caps are two different caps. The input cap can be a lower value like 2.2uf or 4.7uf Ci is the capacitor that goes between the negative feedback resistor to ground and ground. Look at the schematic for the parallel LM4780 on national's site as it will be more clear than I am being.

As for the input caps I put them right on the input jacks, but it is not important. You could also mount them to the PCB, or even inline.

As noted in the datasheet, the Ci cap is there so that the DC gain is 1. Without the cap your DC gain is equal to your AC gain so if you have DC present on the input it will be gained up at the output. The input capacitor is there to block any DC from a source. It is not needed if your source is already about GND. The purpose of both of these caps is to keep DC out and from being gained up. That's all they are there for.

-SL

Thank you so much for all the kind reply, I will be building the module up with a chasis soon, and see whats the result of DC offset after conneted to the electronic crossover without the input and Ci cap and I will post some picture here........

Thanks agian.........

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.