Inverting GC variant

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
"Thank you for your posts, maupenas. You show us a strong foundation in fundamentals and an aversion to fashion."
(Posted by bg40403)

I love all the fresh circuits and ideas you are bringing to this forum Mauro. Please keep up with this wonderful work.

Will you be offering some PCB for your circuits? I'll be interested.

I am able to develop PCB, but doesn't interest me sell nothing.
I have built this PCB to do some test, and I have thought that were able is useful in you, even because I have seen that much have problems with the ground loops and wirings. With this layout you works without surprises.
besides are able learn "on fly" any techniques of PCB layout and power bypass directly "alive" without boring technical treatments.

Ciao

Mauro

and the photo...

Attachments

• my_inv_gc.jpg
    my_inv_gc.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 1,631
HEY! :)
Isn´t anyone else going to give this amp a go?
I have sourced all components required except for the relay and the choke.
Since I am a bit lame I would like to know if the inductor needs to be wound around the resistor or if it's allright to put them in paralel?
Also (hehe *blush*) can I use a 10w relay instead of an 8w?

The rule for the inductor is as says workingathome. in alternative are able wind the wire on an abutment of diameter plastic 8mm and long 20mm, insert the resistance ( 2W wire d. 3, 9mm ) inside and join the terminals of the wire on that of the resistance. in the photo I have used of the wound choke directly on the resistance, but the result depends from the type of second-hand resistance and is not a method from "purist". If you wants be able try to replace the choke with a resistors 5W from 0.1ohm till 0, 22ohm. get( nearly ) it same effect but with constant "dumping" on all the audio range. The choice depends much from the type of loudspeakers that you have and from your tastes: with the resistor have a sound more "soft" and with apparent low range more "deep" ( on account of the reduced dumping ). With the choke ( where the dumping reduces much only high frequency ) have a sound more "fizzy" in middle-high range. My description is a lot of summary but at least making the idea ( hope ).
Creed that the 8W and 10W are 8A and 10A on the Relay. the only rule for the relay is that has to be to 24Vdc and with that passes, while it current with the 2 contacts ( N.A.) more is tall better is.

Mauro

Whats going on Mauro?

It seems as if some guys here purposely fail to understand your posts, and bring discussions to a personal level where your vocabulary does not allow for you to properly defend your position (in my view an unfair behaviour).

I hope it is ok for me to email you feedback when I have completed your kit. Thanks for your work, it is a great loss to see you leave this forum.

All the best,
Erik

Ive been quite busy lately with life and such but a quick update.
I have built the Mauro Amp in a mono version on a pcb of my own design for use as an active speaker amp in my heresy rear surrounds.
I haven't gotten the 2nd one finnished yet so haven't given a good listen but initial results sound very good.
I love the "feel" of the volume control feature. It has a very good log rate.
Thank You Mauro sharing your design with us.
More to follow as I get finished the second amp and get them mounted.
Hugh M :)

I find these thing better:

1) The noise floor is lower even in the same case with thesame trafo, and the same pre.

2) It sounds more dynamic. I especially noticed this with live music and classical pieces.

3) Bass is great on both amps, but midbass really sounded better(better detailed, more punch) with Mauros design.

4) The highs have great extension with both amps, but I found this design just more "pleasant", always found my BGT amp kind of edgy, and not in a really good way.

I think a lot of the differences are do to the inverting rather than non-inverting design. Also this design has a great advantage of being buffered by the opamp.

The real advantage of Brians amp is its simplicity. The advantage of this amp is incredibly solid high end performance.

Cheers!
Russ

Russ White said:

The real advantage of Brians amp is its simplicity. The advantage of this amp is incredibly solid high end performance.

Cheers!
Russ

Thank you for your knowledgeable reply. this variant seems very tasty and tempting, it will have to wait til after im finally done with one of brian's lm3875 kits. but at the pace that my projects are getting done, i might get started on this design in just about a year :xeye:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.