Remote Volume control?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
well obviously that kit is not gonna be vey "audiophile" whatever that means. hey, it all depends your intentions, ive seen digital control kits go for 50x that price, so if you're on a budget and thats what you want, dont let me stop you.

but if you want my opinion, only recent high end digital volume controls are good enough for a high end system, i dont think that kit falls into that category (the reason for this is most digital volume control chips can't handle the larger currents passing from your source). Analog is still by far the best bang for the buck. maybe look into mechanical remote volume controls, i know this site has a DIY one:

http://sound.westhost.com/

search this forum too, there are some threads about higher end stuff.

Thanks a lot Ultra,

i have looked around so much but that diyclub.biz site looks absolutely superb and the prices are amazing. Thanks so much.

But for my amps alas i have already built my gainclone cases, fancied doing some metal work . Be posting up the final images in a day or two.

Thanks a million mate.

And order will go in once i can decide what to get from there menu!!

Fil

i take it that is coming from hong kong? i was thinking it was somewhere in england and was really amazed at the prices but i guess that isnt so shocking coming from hong kong. but still very interested. might buy alot of stuff from them. love building kits. looking at the remote you got. with a input selecter and the case you got as well. does it come with connectors as well? probably not. damn so many projects so little time and money! what a pain in the ****! oh well. thanks agian!

Sorry, yes Hong Kong. The volume board and case are from Lite Audio of China. Unfortunately their site is not in english.

Actually, the enclosure came with jacks, switch, and IEC connector but sadly no fuse holder. Some of the buttons didn't quite fit until I sanded their bases a bit but that was about the only quality control issue.

Diybiz did neglect to send me the mounting hardware for the volume control kit and when I realized this, they sent it immediately so I had it a week later. Later I noticed on their site that this is an extra cost item that I had failed to order. So that was cool.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=47685&highlight=

I don't know if you are still looking at other options but I've been thinking about using a PGA2310 interfaced with a PICAXE microcontroler to accomplish simple volume control.

In theory, the 2310 is a pretty high performance part. By using the PICAXE language, programming the remote should be pretty easy. The whole thing will cost (by my estimate) $20-40. Which, admittedly, is pretty close to the kit price but you will get more flexibility using your own microcontroller.

PGA2310

Hello

I am using PICBasic Pro compiler to write my programs for the lovely PIC MCUs.

Few days ago I have finished writing the program for PGA2310 volume control IC.

I am also using LCD 2 x 16.

When I draw the final circuit I will issue the whole project along with the program and hex files for people who don't have the compiler.

Cheers ;)

Sounds interesting metal... How do you like PICBasic? I've been looking for a cheaper alternative to Basic STAMP or PIC (which becomes expensive because of the extra books etc. that I will need to learn how program in assembly... also the expense of the hardware programmer)

I had pretty much settled on PICAXE (only $3-10 per chip and the programmer can be built for $5-10) but I'm still looking for other options.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.