Slew rate value

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just curious about this...
For preamp puposes, what slew rate value could be considered as optimal?
5,10,20, 40V/µSec or more? Or less?
What to think about two opamps that have same GBW product ,but with different slew rates? Like comparing OPA227 (2.3V/µS) and OPA134 (20 V/µS) while both have 8MHz BW.

Luke123

homer09 said:
i dont think slew rate is a critical spec when looking for sound quality. other more important factors at play

i think you have just thrown the fat in the fire for one of those mega-threads.

mr jung would probably disagree with you:
"bandwidth, compensation, and slew-rate considerations are some of the most important sources of error that will be encountered in op amp circuitry" -- Jung, Walt, IC OPAMP COOKBOOK, 3rd Edition, pg 58.

jackinnj said:

i think you have just thrown the fat in the fire for one of those mega-threads.

mr jung would probably disagree with you:
"bandwidth, compensation, and slew-rate considerations are some of the most important sources of error that will be encountered in op amp circuitry" -- Jung, Walt, IC OPAMP COOKBOOK, 3rd Edition, pg 58.

oops, wasnt my intention. maybe i was too harsh with my judgement, lemme rephrase:

slew rate may be a critical spec when looking for sound quality, but other factors are also at play and should be considered

well jackinnj mentioned another two for starters...

and i think the real test is your personal listening preference. i always find that best specs dont equal best sonics for me. a visit to a HIFI show last weekend confirmed it for me. the systems for which the creators were defending with specs did not sound best to me.

so maybe you should poke around and see what people's listening impressions are of those different opamps, or maybe try them yourself :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.