Another VBIGC :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just thought I’d share a few pic’s of my latest project. A valve buffered chipamp. The circuit is pretty much like Joe’s/Franz T-network VBICG. Just a few minor changes in order to use some of the stuff I had lying around.
Haven’t had much time to listen, but at first “glance” it sounds very pleasing, but it lacks some “authority” compared to my Aleph.

Front:

Attachments

• imag0012.jpg
    imag0012.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 1,135
Kermit said:
Just thought I’d share a few pic’s of my latest project. A valve buffered chipamp. The circuit is pretty much like Joe’s/Franz T-network VBICG. Just a few minor changes in order to use some of the stuff I had lying around.
Haven’t had much time to listen, but at first “glance” it sounds very pleasing, but it lacks some “authority” compared to my Aleph.

Front:

Verry nice !

I bet you have only 1000-1500uf/rail/channel in your PS. Increase it to 4700 and you'll hear totally different sound (personal experience). You'll be pleasantly surprised.

Greg

steenoe said:
That is a beauty, Kermit:) Nice job.
A GC is not a match for an Aleph, sorry:D

Steen.

Hehe, I know, it’s an unfair comparison. I would be hugely disappointed if it “out battled” my aleph, considering I spent only a fraction of what I did on the aleph.

Greg, thanks for the suggestion, I will try that, think I have a few caps lying around.

Nice amp

GregGC said:
I bet you have only 1000-1500uf/rail/channel in your PS. Increase it to 4700 and you'll hear totally different sound (personal experience). You'll be pleasantly surprised.
Greg

Kermit said:
Greg, thanks for the suggestion, I will try that, think I have a few caps lying around.

Don't forget the snubber.
Then put it against the Aleph again.:cool:

Re: Nice amp

carlosfm said:

Don't forget the snubber.
Then put it against the Aleph again.:cool:

Carlos,

I take the snubbers for granted and I didn't bother mentioning. I think everybody knows about it. Can't go without them.
I would add also the Zobel and the LR paralel network (10Ohm||0.7uH) in ser with the output. Found it a must in my setup.

Greg

I thought about snubbers, I used it in my first GC, and to be honest I couldn’t tell the difference. But that was a different chip and different rectifier diodes. As I already have a bridge with snubbers in my first GC it would be easy to pick it out and give it a try in this one. I’ll add that to the list of things to try.
But first things first, I have to make a case for the remote, right now it just sits inside a plastic bag, not something you like to show of on the coffee table ;)

Very very nice... I wish my VBIGC was so neat :smash:

BTW why are you using 2 tubes?

Cheers

Andrea

PS Changing the PS caps with 2x10000uF (+ snubbers) changed the amp's behaviour drastically. Before the mid-highs were incredible (maybe too forward) but the bas was somehow missing, now the tonal balance has shifted to a more equilibrated (tough less "appealing" for some aspects) one.

Hi all,

I just stumbled across this thread, as I'm planning to build a vbigc - maybe just the vb-part first, for first tests.

just loud thinking:
would it be useful to parallel two of the valves, i.e. use both triodes in one of the 6922 in parallel, to reduce noise? Or is this complete nonsense?

Anyway, does maybe anyone know a shop in Munich that sells valves for a reasonable price?

"would it be useful to parallel two of the valves, i.e. use both triodes in one of the 6922 in parallel, to reduce noise? Or is this complete nonsense?!

Noise is not a real issue in this application. A much better use of the second triode is as a simple CCS under the buffer to replace the cathode resistor. This maintains the split rails.

Shoog

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.