My "audiophile" LM3886 approach - Page 53 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th August 2005, 06:47 PM   #521
diyAudio Member

Default amp pcb

Hi Russ...

Just paypal-ed you...

~M.
Old 18th August 2005, 06:55 PM   #522
troystg is offline troystg  United States
diyAudio Member

Brian-

If understand correctly you will be doing a GB for the parts kits to go with the completed rev C brds.

Do you by chance have the parts for the kits?
If so can I order a set for the betas?

Thanks in advance,

Troy stgrab@yahoo.com
Old 18th August 2005, 09:03 PM   #523
diyAudio Member

Well, I am doing a kit for the RevCs. I think the kits will have everything for all three versions.

I plan on getting the BOM and sourcing ready this weekend.

I talked to Russ about this, and think I will try to offer a kit to the beta testers, or maybe just the parts they are missing (I know some of you have some of the parts apready). It would be a good way to test out the parts selection before a large buy.

I'll post more info sometime this weekend (got a bunch of code to write by tomorrow).
Old 19th August 2005, 06:56 AM   #524
maf_au is offline maf_au  Australia
diyAudio Member

Mauro Case is back!

My mate has done a great job putting this together, now I better get on with finishing it.

Photo of the new case sitting under my Russ White Freebird preamp and on top of the slowly-getting-replaced 'legacy' hifi gear
Attached Images
File Type: jpg russpre-maurocase-sml.jpg (68.8 KB, 1572 views)
Old 19th August 2005, 03:48 PM   #525
diyAudio Member

Sorry to be annoying, but for the people brand new around here. Can I get a little summary of what's going on?
It seems BrianGT (?) and Russ are offering kits on their own kickass amps, are these available internationally?
I'd be very interested, if I could get one here. But alas, being a poor student, low budget, how much do they cost roughly (as a kit or just PCB/Opamps)?
Cheers all,
--Nathan

P.S. Sorry if this is the wrong place for the post, wasn't sure where to put it
Old 19th August 2005, 04:41 PM   #526
diyAudio Member

BrianDonegan != BrianGT

BrianGT sells some nice kits for chip amps through chipamp.com.

Russ and I are partnering for kits for a chip-based amp based on Mauro Penasa's designs (with his blessings of course). Russ if making boards and I am putting together kits.

If I had to guess, our stuff will be about $70 for pair of mono boards and a parts kit. This is just a guess at this point. Shoudl know more in the coming weeks.
Old 19th August 2005, 10:23 PM   #527
diyAudio Member

Default Not really low cost

Quote:
Originally posted by MunkeeVegetable
Sorry to be annoying, but for the people brand new around here. Can I get a little summary of what's going on?
It seems BrianGT (?) and Russ are offering kits on their own kickass amps, are these available internationally?
I'd be very interested, if I could get one here. But alas, being a poor student, low budget, how much do they cost roughly (as a kit or just PCB/Opamps)?
Cheers all,
--Nathan

P.S. Sorry if this is the wrong place for the post, wasn't sure where to put it

This hobby is more for the cheap, not the poor. It would be hard to build one of these for less than 150.00 USD. That is using a cheap box and transformer to go with generic parts. If you already have some of the parts needed it might get built for less.
It is easy to end up with 200.00 - 250.00 in one. That should buy a big amp at the local consumer electronics store.
If sound quality is important though, it is 250.00 well spent. The sound quality is very good. Doubt if the local consumer electronics store sells anything that sounds as good.

George
Old 19th August 2005, 10:27 PM   #528
homer09 is offline homer09  Canada
diyAudio Member

i second panelhead. gainclones are not really cheap, but they are definitely relatively cheap.

oh, and if anything, "brian style" gainclone will be cheaper to build because of its much shorter part list.
Old 19th August 2005, 10:30 PM   #529
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Russ White
Quote:
Originally posted by homer09
i second panelhead. gainclones are not really cheap, but they are definitely relatively cheap.

oh, and if anything, "brian style" gainclone will be cheaper to build because of its much shorter part list.

Yes but as panelhead also said, its not really the(electronic) parts that are expensive. Well unless you go hog wild, or buy $800 wire and volume knobs

Actually to me the biggest investment is time, but really its fun-time so hey its well worth it.

Cheers!
Russ
Old 19th August 2005, 11:43 PM   #530
...truth seeker...
diyAudio Member

Quote:
By MunkeeVegetable: Sorry if this is the wrong place
Nathan, You are among friends here. I've learned a lot with much more to come, I trust. Pick the threads that interest you and subscribe. Enjoy.

Hide this!Advertise here!