My "audiophile" LM3886 approach

for me, the bc639 bundle stays but the lm317 bundle comes out, leaving room for future iterations that hopefully uses mosfets? ;)

In fact, if my DN2540 are still good, I'm going to try, this WE, the hybrid DN2540/LM317 CSS.

If it will sound better than the plain LM317 it will be an option on the Fremen Edition.

Clave it seems that the ones i used were on semi LM after all.

So they were OnSemi?

Strange, when I've added those CCSs I've heard a clear improvement over the shunt alone.

Which zeners are you using?

I'm honored by your invitation.

You're welcome

I've been meaning to ask you, though- can siva's lf01 modules be adapted into your boards? i know it's smd 318 but if the tracks are adequate perhaps i can punch holes, scrape the copper... do what i always do- hack it up :p

Sadly no, I've used the SMD for improved performance (less parasitic) and shorter loops so there's no space to make holes for a DIP opamp.

you're welcome bob. :)

Dario I'm using 1N5242B .5w as you specified.

with this mod in place i don't think there would be doubt in anyone's mind that myref is capable of running with the best in the world. couple days ago i hooked up my old singe ended 6v6 amp out of curiosity and was amazed to find that myref actually sounded richer, with more inner harmonics. in a lot of ways it sounded more tubey than a tube amp! and now with the mod, i dare compare it to a SET amp if i can :D :D

Is there a deadline for your board signup? I'm going to have to see how my funding pans out through the month as I'm in the process of building new speakers also.

Dario I'm using 1N5242B .5w as you specified.

Fine.

Is there a deadline for your board signup? I'm going to have to see how my funding pans out through the month as I'm in the process of building new speakers also.

There's no fixed deadline.

The main goal is to reach 20 partecipants (to mantain costs low).

I think it will be aroud one/two weeks from today.

dario did you notice any shift in tone when u were trying out the zener mod by itself? longer listening has revealed to me that the tonal balance has tilted upwards slightly. this could be from another factor, however. i swapped out five more resistors in each channel to caddock to220 types from carbon comp which probaby were contributing to the overly warm sound.

This resistor would be good for current setting of CCS ?
Would be good the same model in R10 position (390R) ? I know the recommendation is Riken but i cand pay shipping from USA just for few resistors.

MK132 are not great current setting resistors, better KOA SPR or best Caddock MP915.

MK132 can be good for R10 (in fact I want to try them but I forgot to order them with my last Mouser order...) and are good for R13.

Actually in the FE RC BOM for R10 is indicated as a SMD KOA RK73H

dario did you notice any shift in tone when u were trying out the zener mod by itself? longer listening has revealed to me that the tonal balance has tilted upwards slightly. this could be from another factor, however. i swapped out five more resistors in each channel to caddock to220 types from carbon comp which probaby were contributing to the overly warm sound.

Probably you're hearing the 200R resistors, PRPs and MK132 both sound good and full there.

A plain metalfilm can sound as you described while a plain carbonfilm sound warm and a bit confused.

Pay also attention to resistor orientation, try to reverse them.

Se my previous post on orientation on the FE build thread.

im using ohmite cc for those locations :D two in series because i had bunch of 100ohm on hand.

i found something that might pertain to my find. Building a buffered Gainclone chip amp.

i know it's not the same application but it's easier on my conscience at the moment to think that some of that tonal shift is from the zener instead of caddocks since they cost whole lot more. ($100 for 10 caddocks!)

sorry, clave :(

im using ohmite cc for those locations :D two in series because i had bunch of 100ohm on hand.

Not good, IMHO

i found something that might pertain to my find. Building a buffered Gainclone chip amp.

Can you be more precise?

i know it's not the same application but it's easier on my conscience at the moment to think that some of that tonal shift is from the zener instead of caddocks since they cost whole lot more. ($100 for 10 caddocks!)

Go for KOA SPR then, they're MUCH cheaper.

oh sorry. there's a part where he compares sonics of bunch of bjts and 639 is one of them.

But it don't rates badly the BC639...

And you must take in account that each manifacturer has its distinct sound signature, the best sounding are OnSemi and NXP, fuller and more balanced than Fairchild, ST are way worse.

And finally his findings are about using those transistors as buffers, not exactly the same application...

A pic of the first MyRef_X2 aka Evo2 prototype, almost fully populated (just missing the LM318/LF01 and a few passives) - the large metallic cylindrical component at front right is a 1uF Russian K71-5 Polystyrene. The rest of the stuff is more or less the Rev C BoM, with some uprated/larger-valued components and minor compensation changes. Just one monoblock so far - I hope to complete it as well as another identical monoblock for power-up by the weekend.

Attachments

• evo2_2_12x9.jpg
    evo2_2_12x9.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 1,411
A pic of the first MyRef_X2 aka Evo2 prototype
I hope to complete it as well as another identical monoblock for power-up by the weekend.

Well done :)

We'll wait for your comments.

the large metallic cylindrical component at front right is a 1uF Russian K71-5 Polystyrene.

Those caps are very good ones, I tried the axial version with great results.

Last edited:
could you tell me which pin that gets bypassed by c7 has the lower impedance? ill be connecting vcap cutf to that location and it talks about outer/inner foil here V-Cap Audio Capacitor Installation Notes

i must say, the caps are rather extreme but i'm still in the firm belief that c7 adfects the sound as much as c13.
and longer lead length or not, i have found full sized axial caps to sound uncomparably better than thruhole caps for this location

could you tell me which pin that gets bypassed by c7 has the lower impedance? ill be connecting vcap

C7 is a +12V to -12V rail-to-rail bypass for the LM318. It bypasses Pin 7 (+Vcc) to pin 4 (-Vcc). If you mean impedance to ground, it's hard to say which has the lower impedance, but in any event it's shunted by the dynamic impedance of the zener, which is in the tens of ohms, and much lower than the dynamic impedance to ground looking into any power pin of the LM318.

I'd advise against using any long-lead axial at that location. Any film/foil type with short leads does fine there - either FKP2, FKS2, FKC2, KC1850, KP1834/35 or similar.

For the LF01, choices are a bit restricted because of the 2.5mm lead pitch, but most of the above can be squeezed in by bending the leads inwards.

could you tell me which pin that gets bypassed by c7 has the lower impedance? ill be connecting vcap cutf to that location and it talks about outer/inner foil here V-Cap Audio Capacitor Installation Notes

Connect the outer foil to V-

I must say, the caps are rather extreme but i'm still in the firm belief that c7 adfects the sound as much as c13.
and longer lead length or not, i have found full sized axial caps to sound uncomparably better than thruhole caps for this location

As I've told several times, while you're right about C7 importance and impact on sound, you can't ignore the cap primary goal: DECOUPLING

So:

I'd advise against using any long-lead axial at that location. Any film/foil type with short leads does fine there - either FKP2, FKS2, FKC2, KC1850, KP1834/35 or similar.