My "audiophile" LM3886 approach

I might add that for some reason this amp needed a lot of breaking -in.Much more than I usually see with other stuff I have/have made.
In the beginning I liked it but I thought my aleph-x was more involving and tonally slightly better.My 300b type set amp(KR842,Plitron iron,asc caps etc) was of course much more musical and tonally more natural.
Well now I prefer the myref to the ax in almost all aspects.Tonally it is about equal to the set amp (that by itself is amazing)but the set amp is slightly more involving and the flow is slightly better - but really only slightly.I would say that the myref manages a slightly deeper soundstage than the SET and of course its dynamics and bass handling are much better (you cannot compare 14w to 56w).
All this is pretty amazing when you think it costs less than the pair of my output valves.

By the way I find it sounds best without the input cap.I tried various things there but I think no cap is way better ...as long as you dont have a source with DC of course.

mrdon

The bass of the Rev C is great, as protos has mentioned. Bass is one of it's strong points - goes very low with good detail. I have often been surprised with the quality of the bass on familiar records. The amp will reproduce good bass, and you will hear it if your speakers are up to the task.

Audie.

Thank you for your reponses on the bass question. I ask becuase I have been a little disappointed with the bass coming out of my Amp6 I recently built. I am use to a vintage tube amp so that could be the issue. Nevertheless, does the MyRef put out more bass than say my Amp6? Would there be a difference?

Hi mrdon.

I cannot say if the Rev C has more bass than the Amp6 as I know nothing of it - maybe others can answer that for you.
The answer might tell you what you could expect from the Rev C IN YOUR SYSTEM.

What I can say is that in my system the bass is satisfyingly full and deep. It is actually quite amazing, considering that it is a very low cost chip amp. My main system runs four bi-amped Quicksilver Monos, and occasionally a Perreaux PMF 2150B, 200W/Ch (that I love for it's transparency), so I am used to deep bass.
The bass from the Rev C leaves me fully satisfied. If the bass was any fuller it would then be a cause for dissatisfaction, as the frequency balance would then be bass heavy and unnatural.

Audie.

I'm heating up

My amp IC and R1 & R4 are heating up with no signal or speakers connected. I think something is shorting +VCC? I have lifted most of the caps but nothing. Zeners and 1N4001's look good. Power supply rails are solid +/-36VDC. When I power up the relay is delayed half a second and then the LED lights up and the "oven" turns on:(

I stuffed the board using Revision C PCB layout as a guide as my PCB has no print (Home Brew).

No digital camera shots, camera is mia...

Shawn.

Bass Response of My-Ref

For some reason, this circuit is very sensitive to the preamp used to drive it. If a normal quality pre is used the bass can be just average.
When driven with a better quality preamp the bass can be amazing in my system. I never suspected my preamp was a limiting factor, until a better one was used. Now it sounds like an extrea octave of low end is there. Very tight, coherent bass.
I do not think any tube amp has the control at the bottom of a version C. More bass maybe, but not better bass. I suspect the same is true about the preamp used to drive it.

George

It sounds great! Mono but great. The 3886's will be in my hands tomorrow so I'll replace the IC with the bigger amp. I need to find a case stat. Meanwhile I'll put the other channel together. I find the input sensitivity too high, anybody else?

I think something is still wrong with my board as it is running way too hot, even with no signal or load. Hmmm...

Other news, a box full of caps, inductors and speaker components came in the mail from Solen today.

I'll be back,

Shawn.

Attachments

• ic amp testingsmall.jpg
    ic amp testingsmall.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 889
Russ White said:
I think you may just have a heatsink a bit on the small side. A little bit bigger would be good if you can find them.

Thanks man. Small heat sink, yeah cause I have'nt figured the case yet, so I don't know how I'm going to sink it? I picked up the transformers for $7ea and the little heatsinks were a couple dollars. Also, the 10k caps were $1.50ea, I couldn't resist. I buy alot at surplus dealers when they have good things and I buy their junk too. Excellent for prototype work.

Russ, the demoboard is the offical beer coaster at the computer desk! You called It but it has a coffee on it tonight:(

More to come, soon.

Attachments

• beercoffeecoaster.jpg
    beercoffeecoaster.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 956
Twisted Pear

I think Twisted Pear should sell an optional badge to give the DIY'er an oportunity to label their gear. Plastic or metal whatever, just someting nice to stick on the masterpiece you just finished making? The Kookaburra thread is hot and the product looks sweet. I think I need to reallocate some fund$.

Russ and Brian,

Tom's sugggestion of the badge is excellent. I have been mulling over how to make nice badges good enough to stick on the timber front panels of my two Rev Cs (one still to build). Copper or brass would be perfect - cost is not a big consideration, as far as I am concerned. It could include both Mauro Penasa and Twisted Pear, as both are involved in the Rev C boards.
The hardest part would be coming up with a suitable design.

Audie.

MP3 problem

Hi Guys,
Wow I was not expecting this ammount of support! I do like 'my_ref' as a project but I also like the '50 watt, solution at headwize!http://www.headwize.com/projects/showfile.php?file=harrison2_prj.htm
This one's funky too? Which 1 guys?
I certainly enjoy ESP, it is almost my 'bible' like start page and after taking the time to read more I find Rod Elliot to be a no nonsense, clear thinking, very helpfull individual. so I tink I make the DOZ as well. Why not build them all????
Sorry, got a bit obsessed there!!
Thanks all you guys & girls out there! Keep the info coming,
wotsascott.

Re: Twisted Pear

TomWaits said:
...I think Twisted Pear should sell an optional badge to give the DIY'er an oportunity to label their gear. ......

Totally agreed. I love the logo Pear, just something as a simple button with that.

I just finished a set of Premium Vifa 2 ways to put on my Kook / Rev_C integrated as my permanent bedroom system. I listen to THAT system twice a day (morning and night). So even though they aren't in my reference system they do get WAY more play time.

The highest compliment I can give a system is one in which I can totally relax to. Only one other system (not my reference either) have I fallen asleep to.