digital versus analog volume attenuation

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just ran into this today for posting on another forum, so I might as well re-paste it here:

http://pdfserv.maxim-ic.com/en/an/AN1828.pdf

No sense using ADCs/DACs. There are already devices that do the trick for you.

I can't see this approach being any worse than using a stepped attenuator, unless you go all out on the resistors that you choose to use for the attenuator. Even then, I'm not sure the difference is worth the money. :p

If I ever get a chance, I will likely use the parts listed in the app note above and give it a go.

Cheers,

Chris

You lose S/N ratio no matter what you do, digital or analog. There are pros and cons to both methods, although the only really decent digital attenuation will be DSP-based.

I think that as long as we are speaking of 20-30dB max attenuation, a good digital domain attenuator will be just as good as an analog one, especially if it means eliminating buffers etc from the signal path. This is provided we are attenuating 24 bit data.

YMMV.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.