LM4780 Paraclone

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
jackinnj said:
the schematic is on page 6 of the National PDF for the '4780 -- i have found that the folks at National have done a pretty good job in the various configurations of the 4780, 3886, 3875.

this image might be a little clearer, but is large:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Looks like your + and - supply rails are touching at the upper left near the chip...probably don't want to do this
;)

Re: LM4780

RCBandwidth said:
National Semi provides the gerber files for the LM4780 on their website.I used them with good results.With a little rework you can reconfigure for bridge or parallel operation. RC

National doesn't pay attention to star-grounding in their layout, the space for the caps is smaller than the polypropylene ones used in real life and they also use a socket for the LM4780.

i cleaned up the layout, but the old GIF was over-written with the new one, sorry.

Hey Fellow Jerseyite.....

Just curious, but will you be offering these boards to the masses?
And what type of supply configuration will you be using?
I'm a curious newbie to this site, drooling over all of the different chipamp possibilities. Currently handwiring the 3875tf, but my heart is thumpin' o do the 4780

reever:bigeyes:

yeah, the people's republic of New Jersey --

I usually make up some boards for my own use and to figure out what needs fixin' -- then have a few hundred or so made with silk screen and soldermask and sell them at a little over cost -- the immediate imperfections I noted are that the trace for the mute function is too close to the mounting hole, there is a need to separate the caps by a few 0.010" so they seat themselves squarely, and the zobel and decoupling resistors could be spaced a bit more comfortably.

i am using my "generic" power supply board -- an easy single sided board -- with a quad of MUR860's and 10,000 uF filtration. i've had quite a few requests for a regulated version of this supply, so this might be in the works, along with a "quiet" switching supply for auto use. stay tuned, nothing goes onto my website until it's been thoroughly tested.

This is for jackinnj, Lsharptec1 and other conjurates of the
new republic of New Jersey. I´m in the norwest of this beautiful
and most envied state....

I have just one question related to the 4780 chip amplifier, is
it worth the work on this device?

I´ve been building discrete amps for so long that I forgot that
I have a few chips of these and respective boards professionally made to go along. Another words I have everything to build
the parallel version but I haven´t done anything because I
really don´t know about its quality.

Could you guys please tell me if I should heat up my iron for
this project?

jmateus,

I am in the process of putting together an amplifier that will use both the parallel configuration and the bridged configuration.

It is not complete yet, but I have built other chip amps and am very satisfied with the sound quality.

The great part about this hobby is the thrill of doing it yourself.

If you are a noob to the hobby, I suggest that you stick with a kit or a finalized design.

If you are an experienced engineer or technician, you can experiment with the circuitry, changing component values to yield desired gains or bandwidth limits.

The simple answer to your question is YES ... it is worth it.

Larry

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.