Jlh '69 vs Gainclone or Hiraga

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
apassgear said:
Peter, will you have a snuberized PSU as well?

Yes.

Attachments

• 471.gif
    471.gif
    50.5 KB · Views: 1,150
Peter Daniel said:

So Chris, you've been using both (JLH and GC), which one you prefer?

Peter,

I am kind of torn between lovers. No absolute answer. By circumstance the GCs are in the subwoofer role because they are stereo amps that can drive the two dipoles subs and they have more power than the JLH in SPL sense. The GC has more precise enhanced 3D signatures only for certain instruments but the overeall entire sound wall/stage as a whole the JLH are more emotionally enchanted in a way. Let the power effeciency alone, purely on the sonic merit alone I would vote for my JLH for the some what more tube like sound yet still maintain the garbage in garbage out and true to the recording by 10% over the BrainGT V1 GC. I am like you in the way that I don't change the volume setting much, just let the different CDs play at their recorded level so I can judge hoe well the dynamics of different CDs.

Just two weeks ago I was in Brack listensing to a DVD player with Classe' CP500, CA5200 and B&W 802D for an hour with my own CDs. Well they were VERY impressive. The problem for that system is you have to listen to it loud 95db + in order to get it to sing nicely. I can not listen to it more than 2 hours may be I am getting older. My active system may not have the same tight bass and chest pounding power but mines go lower with the GC and still enjoy the full swing of dynamics of full range sound and I can listen to it all day long. Actually I can hear more detail in the recording in my own system because of lower volume I am playing.

Peter if you want I don't mind take my JLHs to your den to have a session with your GCs..my GC may not up to par, no big BG...

Chris

chris ma said:
Peter if you want I don't mind take my JLHs to your den to have a session with your GCs..my GC may not up to par, no big BG...

I would be very interested indeed in such comparison, as myself, I was thinking about trying JLH amp as well. But maybe we should wait, untill I have the new Aleph 30 ready also, and this shouldn't take more than 10 days ;)

My GC is greatly improved since ver.1. I''m no longer using batteries, and AC power with minimum capacitance (and BG N caps) makes it for me theses days.

I would agree that the JLH sounds valve like, but only in a favorable way. It has the effortlessness and liquid midrange of a good valve amp but without the softened highs and lows. Mine has a bandwidth from below 1Hz to 100KHz (it is deliberately rolled of at 100KHz, it will actually go to beyond 1MHz without the filter!) and is direct coupled to the speakers.
The problem with the LM3886 amp is that, as someone else has pointed out, they sound at their best with a weedy PSU (I use 2200Uf caps) and this can cause problems with dynamic, bass heavy music (colouration, loose bass etc). I cannot think of any good reason why adding more reservoir caps should spoil the sound.....but it does!, it ends up sounding like a typical high feedback solid state amp, flat, "grey" etc but it does cure the bass and colouration:cannotbe:
It is worth noting that in the sort of applications that the LM series was designed for, it almost certainly would have a pathetic PSU powering it (up market TV set's, all in one "stereos" etc).
As to this "snuberising" lark.... firstly it is not a snubber!, it's a Zobel network (from what I've seen of the diagram earlier in the thread). This is a ploy which is commonly used in high feedback voltage regulators which, due to falling open loop gain with increasing frequency, tend to have a slightly inductive output impedance which is brought back to something closer to resistive by the Zobel network ( yes this can stop ringing on the transient response that could be caused by an output cap alone forming an LC circuit with the output inductance but it is still not a snubber IMHO). I think that the chances of it having any benificial effect in the PSU of a LM series amp are about the same as britney spears chances of being the next pope....

I think that the chances of it having any benificial effect in the PSU of a LM series amp are about the same as britney spears chances of being the next pope.... [/B]

Forget the LM series amp.
I would say that it is beneficial to any high capacitance unregulated PSU.
And specially when used with a wide bandwidth amp.

We don't agree, but no problem.
I don't like Britney, anyway.:D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.