Jlh '69 vs Gainclone or Hiraga

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hai Guys,

I have a pair of Dynaudio Nuance Speakers (look at the picture) these are 86db/w 4ohm and i drive them with a John Linsley Hood '69 10watt. But i want build something beter than that, is a Gainclone or a Hiraga 20watt beter than my old Jlh?

Sorry for my English.

Greetz Maartie and Thanks.

Attachments

• img_6204.jpg
    img_6204.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 2,252
take advantage of the sale on chipamp.com. then you can build and compare for yourself. the beauty of the chipamp is that it is so cheap to implement, you really wont be dissappointed no matter the result (but I'm sure like most of us, that you will find it great anyway. ;) )

edit: for inefficient 4 ohm speakers, you will want to go for the 3886 or 4780 if you're considering the LM range. I think Carlos drives difficult loads with his snubbered 3886 and speakes very highly of it.

analog_sa said:
HI Carlos

Have you actually tried this? Impressions compared to single chips?

I made my subwoofer with 2 // OPA549.
Glorious bass, tight, fast, gives a punch in my chest.:cool:

analog_sa said:
Has anyone else critically compared paralleled chips?

I did only used paralleled chips on my sub, so i can't comment soundwise if paralleling has some bad effect on the whole sound of a "normal" amp.
Anyway, I have this plan in my head for some time, which I will make as soon as I get some trafos for it:

Biamping my Epos speakers with:
- two paralleled LM3886 chips for the woofer.
- one LM3886 for the tweeter.

This is meant to be per channel, with independent trafos/PSUs.
This means 4 trafos/independent PSUs (for bass, treble and per channel).

:hot:

But I am at this time testing something slightly different from the norm, which seems to work very well. and then I will make the amp this way.
I need some time, I only report things that work.:eek:
You guys go heating the soldering irons.:cool:

Dear Maarten,

I also do own a pair of Dynaudio Nuance's and a JLH '69 and a Gainclone (2 transfomers and lm'3875's).

In my opinion it is not a matter of sounding better or something like that.

10 to 20 watt is more than enough for the average dutch room.

My gainclones do sound somewhat lighter in the treble and the bass is more sharply defined. But my wife likes the JLH 69 more......... So who knows.

My suggestion: build the Gainclone. (=Simple and quick, you can get the LM3875 from Bergsoft(.nl) for about € 9). So you can compare yourself.

You are always welcome at my place, so you can form your own opinion. If so, please email me.

Luuk Boessenkool

I have built the "ultimate JLH" type circuit from the class A amplifier site mentioned above, I've made many changes of my own including modern V.high speed transistors, greater power and fan cooling. It gives about 22 watts per channel and is one of the best amps I have ever heard.
I have also built an amplifier using LM3886 IC's (I refuse to use the stupid "gainclone" name!, people have been building chip based amps for dacades before it) and, Yes it is shockingly good (better than most amps I have heard upto £1000) but not as good as the JLH. When you consider though, that the JLH has about £200 of parts in it(14 x 22000Uf caps, twin 300va TX's, huge heatsinks, fan cooling etc) and the LM3886 amp cost about £20 and is not THAT far behind it....... makes you think eh?.

hmmm than i have maybe to modify my Jlh.
The setup for de jlh is: 40V supply, 330Va Torroid one for two channels, 30000uF each channel, Elna Capacitors in the amplifier, 12000uF Marcon output capacitor.

Anyone an idea for update?

Thanks everybody
and again sorry for my english.

Maarten

maartentje said:
Hai Guys,

I have a pair of Dynaudio Nuance Speakers (look at the picture) these are 86db/w 4ohm and i drive them with a John Linsley Hood '69 10watt. But i want build something beter than that, is a Gainclone or a Hiraga 20watt beter than my old Jlh?

Sorry for my English.

Greetz Maartie and Thanks.

carlosfm said:
The problem is... that Dynaudio speaker will not be very happy with a 10~20W amp.

A pair of paralleled LM3886 chips will give around 100W at 4 ohms, and about 22A max. output current.

It sounds like they're 'happy' with a JLH 10 watt.

maartentje said:
hmmm than i have maybe to modify my Jlh.
The setup for de jlh is: 40V supply, 330Va Torroid one for two channels, 30000uF each channel, Elna Capacitors in the amplifier, 12000uF Marcon output capacitor.
Anyone an idea for update?
Maarten
A capacitance multiplier, use separate ones for left and right channels. Read through the update sections at the JLH site posted earlier. He claims significant improvement by separating the power supply sections.

Re: Re: Jlh '69 vs Gainclone or Hiraga

paulb said:
It sounds like they're 'happy' with a JLH 10 watt.

It depends on the type of music they listen to.
I know a guy who was satisfied with his system until I took one of my CDs to his house.
This CD as strong bass, but it has to sound tight.
Well... the resonance was so nasty we simply couldn't bare to listen.:bawling:

The amp was a 3-channel Denon power amp, and the speakers were B&W 602S3.
The speakers are quoted 8 ohms, 91db sensitivity.
The amp is quoted 120W RMS/8ohms, 200W RMS/4ohms.

The amp simply couldn't drive those speakers.
The 602 are very hard to drive, they go as low as (measured) 2.8 ohms.:eek:

Dynaudio speakers are also very hard to drive.
I have a friend that had to decide between changing his big AVI integrated (150W RMS/8ohms) or his pair of Dynaudio speakers.
One didn't go with the other.
He changed the speakers.

analog_sa said:

Has anyone else critically compared paralleled chips?

I'm coming up with a new LM4780 board, that will allow all 3 options on a single board: stereo, parallel and bridged.

Making exact comparisons will be greatly simplified, as it will come down to merely switching a jumper.

So far, the parallel LM4780 was not better than LM3875 (both premium versions), and my preference went with smaller cheap each time I ( and some of my friends) compared them. But those comparisons where not exactly accurate (and fair).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.