law faking pot Q - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th March 2005, 01:56 PM   #1
pjanda1 is offline pjanda1  United States
diyAudio Member

Default law faking pot Q

Happy Easter! I'm going to try a PEC 1M linear pot T recommended in my BrianGT 3875 project. I recall T writing that the appropriate law faking resistor value is 33K-47K. Is there an advantage to either end of the spectrum? I believe that 47K should result in a better taper. But if I use 33K will I be able to remove the 22K resistor at the input as P.D. does with a 25K pot? Sorry if these questions have been answered before, but I can't find them. I know the best way is to try different configurations, but I want to get as close as I can to begin with.

thanks,

Paul
Old 27th March 2005, 02:11 PM   #2
Mark Kravchenko --- www.kravchenko-audio.com
diyAudio Member

Default Try it!

THe best way is to try it and plot the values on graph paper. To get some measure of repeatablity you might want to mark out points on the dial and plot them on some graph paper. You will be happy with either. But the higher resistance will give you what you want.

Mark
Old 27th March 2005, 02:21 PM   #3
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

To save you all that do a search on 'law faking' for posts in the last 6 months and you will find a spreadsheet.
Old 27th March 2005, 06:52 PM   #4
homer09 is offline homer09  Canada
diyAudio Member

You will find my spreadsheet here:

*technical elec question* DC offset/input impedance relation

Old 28th March 2005, 07:33 AM   #5
pjanda1 is offline pjanda1  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks homer09! That was exactly what I needed. For some reason I was having a hard time finding that post in my searches. I needed to search for "linear" instead of "law faking". Did you end up going that route, and if so, what did you use?
Old 28th March 2005, 08:07 AM   #6
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

That's the spreadsheet I was on about. homer09 wrote it so I'm sure it was easy for him to find Sorry I wasn't too good with my search instructions, I couldn't quite remember the exact thread it was in.
Old 28th March 2005, 05:06 PM   #7
homer09 is offline homer09  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by pjanda1
Thanks homer09! That was exactly what I needed. For some reason I was having a hard time finding that post in my searches. I needed to search for "linear" instead of "law faking". Did you end up going that route, and if so, what did you use?

Glad to help

I havent actually tried law faking for real yet, my amp building project is a very slow and ongoing task... i am in university full-time, so this can't be a priority. But, I am planning to implement a fake-law in the amp i will be starting/finishing within a month and a bit. I chose a 250K linear PEC pot, and im leaving the 22K shunt resistor in place on the BrianGT LM3875 board. I think this should give a nice volume curve.

If you jump ahead with your 1Meg pot, i would love to hear your results! post them on the thread with the spreadsheet.

Hide this!Advertise here!