To DIY? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th March 2005, 02:38 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default To DIY?

I am planning on tri-amping my speakers I am building, and I am wondering if it would be cheaper to build a DIY amp, or buy an off the shelf option.

I am looking at needing 30watts RMS, and 100watts RMS, I already have an amp for the woofers, which is a big pro amp.

I don't have any experiance doing this sort of thing but I am doing FOR the experiance, so I don't mind taking my time, and messing up from time to time.
Old 24th March 2005, 03:29 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Pretty tough to beat the local pawn shop or even a decent sale at the stereo shop for a basic amplifier.

Gainclone will provide the power you need Lm3886 or LM4780. Kit is about 50-75 bux plus the transformer plus case, you are over $200 guaranteed for new parts, obviously less if you are salvaging, but then you also run the risk of having an amplifier that looks salvaged

I would suggest DIY for the fun of it, as well as learning along the way. If you just need an amp, go buy one, else you will be 6 months down the road and constantly modding your homebrew amp.
Old 24th March 2005, 05:16 AM   #3
GregGC is offline GregGC  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rayban68
Pretty tough to beat the local pawn shop or even a decent sale at the stereo shop for a basic amplifier.

Gainclone will provide the power you need Lm3886 or LM4780. Kit is about 50-75 bux plus the transformer plus case, you are over $200 guaranteed for new parts, obviously less if you are salvaging, but then you also run the risk of having an amplifier that looks salvaged

I would suggest DIY for the fun of it, as well as learning along the way. If you just need an amp, go buy one, else you will be 6 months down the road and constantly modding your homebrew amp.

My 75W Yamaha stereo receiver sounds not as good as my GC though. Plus you don't have to go with premium parts to get verry good sound out of GC.
Old 24th March 2005, 09:23 AM   #4
joensd is offline joensd  Germany
diyAudio Member

If you dont mind the time Id vote for DIYing the amps yourself.
With PCBs for different gainclones provided theres not much to do wrong and they arent expensive.
A crossover is somewhat different.
Getting a kit, building a regulated supply and implementing everything properly is a bit more difficult and might not be adjustable.
Most important : do you need/want it adjustable?
Then Id rather go with a Behringer CX-3400/DCX-2496 depending on your budget. A DIY solution, although probably better, can easily get more expensive.
If you know about your crossover frequencies for sure, have a look here : http://sound.westhost.com/project09.htm

greets
Old 24th March 2005, 05:23 PM   #5
kmj is offline kmj  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Oh, and here i thought it was possible to "Just build ONE amp"
Old 24th March 2005, 10:20 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Hehehe

yes "just one amplifier"

I swear its an addiction isn't it.
Old 25th March 2005, 03:46 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

"Hey, I just need these two speakers, and I have some left over speakers, and I can throw together a surround sound system with this old prologic 2 reciever"

"Hey, I need an Onkyo 601 to make this dolby digital"

"I am missing a lot of bass, I need a sub"

"This sub is boomy I need to modify it"

"My mains just arn't that great, I need new towers, besides they are on sale"

"My center and rears need to match"

"These just don't sound awesome on music like the high end store. I need to get some really nice speakers"

"I think I can make something better than what they are selling for the price"

"I need to triamplify my system"

This has literally all happened over a year, but I am not addicted to my audio... OH! I forgot:

"My car doesn't sound as good as it could"

"I think I need a new head unit"

"Maybe some new speakers"

"need to amplify them to really make them sing"

"Just not enough bass"

"Bass is too boomy, need a parametric EQ"

"I need an RTA to measure the sound"

But I swear, I am not an audio addict. Just because I spend more money a week on audio than on food, doesn't mean I am messed up.

I am just going to be tri amplifing some speakers with 2 10" drivers, for my 10" x 12" apartment living room. Oh and now I am talking about audio instead of studying for 2 exams, and doing my homework that's due tomorrow. ...
Old 25th March 2005, 07:15 AM   #8
kmj is offline kmj  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Oh and now I am talking about audio instead of studying for 2 exams, and doing my homework that's due tomorrow. ...
Been there, done that

Hide this!Advertise here!