pwer supply for cip amp - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd March 2005, 06:42 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default pwer supply for cip amp

i have to ask a very important question. i have a +-41VDC power supply on hand its the only one i got that is already in DC volts the maximum rating for supply for the chips i am using (opa541) is +-40VDC. i dont want to ruin any chips so i was wanting to know if there is a way i could get rid of a few volts without doing any unwinding of the transformer.
Old 23rd March 2005, 06:51 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default Re: pwer supply for cip amp

Quote:
Originally posted by odysseybmx414
i have to ask a very important question. i have a +-41VDC power supply on hand its the only one i got that is already in DC volts the maximum rating for supply for the chips i am using (opa541) is +-40VDC. i dont want to ruin any chips so i was wanting to know if there is a way i could get rid of a few volts without doing any unwinding of the transformer.

There are quite a few ways to drop a few volts. You coud use a pair of regulators and drop the voltage into a more suitable range, or even add a few diodes in series on each rail to keep the voltage down just a bit. Personally I'd go for the regulated approach, but thats entirely up to you.
Old 23rd March 2005, 07:00 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
i have a +-41VDC power supply on hand its the only one i got that is already in DC volts the maximum rating for supply for the chips i am using (opa541) is +-40VDC.
1 Volt? Worried about 1 volt? Don't sweat it d00d, yo PS be sweet.
Old 23rd March 2005, 07:06 PM   #4
Banned

Quote:
If you don't want to unwind, then wind some thick, isolated wire on the opposite direction.
Voltage goes down.
Just a few turns is usually enough to drop some volts.
Old 23rd March 2005, 08:12 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

the thing is its not a toroidal so winding would be complicated

Hide this!Advertise here!