Attaching chip to heatsink

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
How does everyone attach a non-isolated chip to a heatsink to achieve isolation? I have some mica insulating plates to keep the chip off the heatsink, but I do not have a nylon washer that will fit inside the hole in the chip as well as have a lip to prevent the flat portion of the screw contact the chip?

I have a metal lathe and about 10 feet of nylon rod, but I'd really rather not have to make screws. Does anyone know a source for an appropriate washer/screw?

Thanks,
Adam

Adam M. said:
How does everyone attach a non-isolated chip to a heatsink to achieve isolation? I have some mica insulating plates to keep the chip off the heatsink, but I do not have a nylon washer that will fit inside the hole in the chip as well as have a lip to prevent the flat portion of the screw contact the chip?

I have a metal lathe and about 10 feet of nylon rod, but I'd really rather not have to make screws. Does anyone know a source for an appropriate washer/screw?

Thanks,
Adam

Home Depot has nylon screws -- the other companies cited above have the "hip washers" in fiber or plastic which will work.

Don't use the mounting hole in the chip's leadframe. Use a bar across the body of the chip, with a bolt at each end. A thin piece of rubber sheet under the bar helps with pressure distribution. Using the bar will give much better pressure distribution across the copper heatsink tab of the chip, meaning it sits flatter to the heatsink giving better thermal performance. There's also less risk of distorting the leadframe of the chip by accidental over-torqueing of the mounting screws.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.