My LM1875 gainclone... point2point... - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th March 2005, 09:45 PM   #11
Nuuk is offline Nuuk  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

You may find it easier to use solid core wire rather than the stranded. It makes for easier soldering in tight spaces and (IMHO) sounds better.

Other than that, a good job.
Old 20th March 2005, 03:09 AM   #12
w00t is offline w00t  Singapore
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MBK
That's great, your soldering work looks as messy as mine (and do I recognize Sim Lim prototyping boards?).

Not to worry too much, the electrons don't care. But do check out safety, sometimes without the "anchor" of a board, and with thick connecting wires, things can get bent into a short, with those tight spaces. I have made this kind of mistake several times...

Have fun and enjoy,
Haha! The wires actually appears to be more rigid... my excessive tinning seems to have tinned the inside of the insulation.

Quote:
Originally posted by BlackDog
Hi there - how does the amp sound, and what speakers are you using with it?

I also noticed that in post #3, the top of one of your supply caps looks VERY close to touching the tab of one of the rectifirer diodes. I'd look at that if I were you.
(I think the metal casing of most el. caps is connected on of the terminals..)
The sound is great! Don't really know how to describe its sound. Perhaps I should say they sound rather 'balanced'. I'm using them with KEF Cresta 1 speakers.

As for the supply caps, that's just the camera angle. It's actually a fair distance from the rectifiers.

Quote:
Originally posted by Nuuk
You may find it easier to use solid core wire rather than the stranded. It makes for easier soldering in tight spaces and (IMHO) sounds better.

Other than that, a good job.
Thank you!

As mentioned above, the stranded are actually quite rigid after my excessive tinning. Solid cores can let me have a neater layout, but they are far too difficult to bend under such tight spaces. Might try them out in the future.
Old 20th March 2005, 09:01 AM   #13
Nuuk is offline Nuuk  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Solid cores can let me have a neater layout, but they are far too difficult to bend under such tight spaces.
No really if you use 0.6mm and I have even hardwired a Gainclone with 1.0mm!
Old 20th March 2005, 12:29 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Just curious, with such a big transformer why didnt you go for higher power opamp like 3875/3886?

Or is it that you just prefer 1875?
Old 20th March 2005, 01:14 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by skyraider
Just curious, with such a big transformer why didnt you go for higher power opamp like 3875/3886?

Or is it that you just prefer 1875?
Have tied many times with the 3875/3886, but always end up with massive DC offset...

So I did up the 1875, til my planned tube amp can be realised...
Old 21st March 2005, 03:52 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

>>>Have tied many times with the 3875/3886, but always end up with massive DC offset...

I would try to tackle that DC problem first, if I were you.. 3886 is much better sound. But if you are happy with 1875, no problem. End of this issue.

Did you try using different resistor for the zobel?
Old 21st March 2005, 10:34 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by skyraider
>>>Have tied many times with the 3875/3886, but always end up with massive DC offset...

I would try to tackle that DC problem first, if I were you.. 3886 is much better sound. But if you are happy with 1875, no problem. End of this issue.

Did you try using different resistor for the zobel?

Hehe...

This project was built with spare components entirely, so I'll just leave the zobel as it is.
Old 22nd March 2005, 02:05 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to mod_evil
Ohhh... very good constrution... simple and easy...

Please post the schematic... do you use the datasheet schematic or you construction one schematic?

Thanks for attetion.
Old 22nd March 2005, 02:20 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mod_evil
Ohhh... very good constrution... simple and easy...

Please post the schematic... do you use the datasheet schematic or you construction one schematic?

Thanks for attetion.

Thank you!

The schematic is basically derived from the datasheet, with some values changed, components added/omitted.

With regards to this schematic (http://202.186.86.35/audio/articles/...le/diyden2.gif), R1 was changed to 47k as I had these resistors on hand. A 4.7uF BG cap was used between the RCA (J1) and R1 to block DC. C1 was omitted and R4 changed to 18k. I don't really require the high gain, so I slightly lowered it.

Cheers!
Old 22nd March 2005, 02:24 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to mod_evil
Why do you not use the RC filter in the inputs?

The schematic is very well...

Thaks for schematics and the replys.

Hide this!Advertise here!