4780 single sided pcb redesigned - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th March 2005, 11:08 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default 4780 single sided pcb redesigned

I got this pcb from one thread. sorry don't remember which one.
I have done some modifications so that it can be used for 2chs or parallel.

Criticize/comments please...

Gajanan Phadte
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 4780 final2.pdf (15.4 KB, 837 views)
Old 15th March 2005, 01:24 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Why bother with a single sided PCB, double sided ones are just as easy to make at home if you are using either the toner transfer method or the photo method. Just line up your art work while looking through it, tape it together so it wont move, then insert your PCB.....Unless of course you have a stack os single sided boards you need to use up
Old 16th March 2005, 12:04 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

The real question is this: Why bother aligning the two sides when it is not required due to the simplicity of the circuit?

It's all preference man, it is easier to make single sided and if that is what he likes he can have it that way...and you can have double sided!

I'll take 4-layer please...LOL

-Matt
Old 16th March 2005, 02:11 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by zagisrule!
The real question is this: Why bother aligning the two sides when it is not required due to the simplicity of the circuit?

It's all preference man, it is easier to make single sided and if that is what he likes he can have it that way...and you can have double sided!

I'll take 4-layer please...LOL

-Matt

Oh believe me I'm not knocking a single layer design, merely making a suggestion. The chipamp.com design is a good two layer one that's proven. I've seen a few other single layer designs for this chip floating around, but most are larger and have long narrow traces. If a single layer design works for you by all means go for it
Old 16th March 2005, 02:28 AM   #5
cjd is offline cjd  United States
diyAudio Member

On the initial schematic:

Power traces seem thin as they work through the chip.

Some of the other traces look like the output to PDF screwed them up some? Either that or the lines don't line up well (for example, follow the ground to pin 19).

I think the nature of this chip simply does not lend itself as well to a single sided board. IMHO a pair of 3886's would make more sense if single sided is the goal.

And... tiny traces on double sided? What?!

1.5"x2" - expects a large cap PSU of some sort.

Paralleled.

Click the image to open in full size.

C
Old 16th March 2005, 04:53 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

cjd wrote...
Quote:
Some of the other traces look like the output to PDF screwed them up some? Either that or the lines don't line up well (for example, follow the ground to pin 19).
I think the nature of this chip simply does not lend itself as well to a single sided board. IMHO a pair of 3886's would make more sense if single sided is the goal.
Thanks
Power traces are thin... taken
the path to pin 19 is thin and will rectify it. I just converted the Word file (used Wordart on MAC) for posting and will not use it for making the PCB.
True. 4780 is difficult compared to 3886, but when a friend gets 4 free samples and gives u 2, u know...

Gcollier
I would love to go double sided but getting a single sided cclad glass epoxy itself is a nightmare ...and My India is a big country and volume orders are only entertained.

Besides IMO, the single sided is easy to rework on.

I have decided to fix hollow rivetts for the IC pins for reliability and long solder joint life, if I get the right size.

Gajanan Phadte
Old 16th March 2005, 06:00 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gmphadte
cjd wrote...

Thanks
Power traces are thin... taken
the path to pin 19 is thin and will rectify it. I just converted the Word file (used Wordart on MAC) for posting and will not use it for making the PCB.
True. 4780 is difficult compared to 3886, but when a friend gets 4 free samples and gives u 2, u know...

Gcollier
I would love to go double sided but getting a single sided cclad glass epoxy itself is a nightmare ...and My India is a big country and volume orders are only entertained.

Besides IMO, the single sided is easy to rework on.

I have decided to fix hollow rivetts for the IC pins for reliability and long solder joint life, if I get the right size.

Gajanan Phadte
How about 2 single sided boards stacked one on top of another

LOL!
Old 16th March 2005, 08:33 PM   #8
Account Disabled

hello friend,

can u post the component layout for the pcb that is given .....
Old 16th March 2005, 09:32 PM   #9
cjd is offline cjd  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Gcollier

How about 2 single sided boards stacked one on top of another

LOL!
A most excellent idea IMHO! A bit thick perhaps. But only V+ and V- on the "bottom" is needed, and things clean up quite nicely! I put a couple other traces on the bottom of mine since it was there, but they need not be.

The other thing is it may be worth (carefully!) re-bending the pins so the power traces can be made thick and straight - alter the footprint of the chip.

Or bend them out so they're not attached to the PCB at all and run a solid copper wire for each (partial P2P basically).

C
Old 16th March 2005, 10:11 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

It's like cratch left ear by right hand. Leave your amateur thinking .

Hide this!Advertise here!