My monoblock Gainclone LM3886 (photos link)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
jaudio,

this is my final assembly (acc to my tastes).

Characteristics:

No hum, no strange offsets (< 20 mV), no heating (when driving 84dB 4-ohm speakers), after 1 year.

Includes zobel and coil at the output.

The building platform is solid copper 10 mm!

Includes thermometer on top (at the first days, oscillation was a frequent phenomenon, and this was VERY useful !).

Cap bank is ELNA cerafine (before, i included 10.000 uF bank in parallel, but something bad happended with the bass. ... you know)

Trafos are 300 VA (custom order)

No FUSES (direct connection to mains)!

Not MUR 860 diodes (!)

Special internally hardwired ac outlets, only for two GCs

... and sound? Very very good, but ... remember: my speakers (Audio Phycic Step SLE) are not an optimum match.

PS. A lesson for me: NEVER use cap in the feedback loop of such an amplifier !!! :whazzat:

DC dave,

this will terrify you:

My other amp, McCormack DNA 0.5, with upgraded power supply (2 x 600 VA + 1 x 300 VA, 100.000uF total) is also direclty connected to mains (direct run to the power switchboard).

Also all four fuses at the output stages have been removed.:eek:

Of course, operation is always supervised.

But, all good (sound) things have a cost: A fatal short circuit (during the mis-insertion of a plug) burnt a handful of fets and transistors.

Anyway, i must say that i trust GC as it is. One year now and is very stable.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.