Active Filter Network

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I currently have my sub crossed at 100Hz, and I have a linkwitz transform. I feel that it is time to create proper preamp with high pass filters. Basically, is my current circuit ok, or should I add some unity gain buffers anywhere? I calculated the values for the filters using the SLOA093 document from Texas Instroments. I have built each filter seperately on breadboards, and they work ok. I just dont know if I can stick them together like I have.

Attachments

• xover2.gif
    xover2.gif
    22.3 KB · Views: 622
all filters show are 2nd order, likely making them 12dB/oct unless they are signifigantly overdamped which i'm betting against given the closeness of values.

note that the source impedance is not shown. you may acheive better results adding a buffer on the inputs.

have not checked the values but it is likely the rumble filter and linkwitz transform filter will be near the same frequencies.

Yeah, a buffer at the front end would be a good idea because there are a few stages to drive and you can never be sure what the source impedance is. A buffer on the low out mono is also needed as mentioned for the pot.

I would also add a resistor of 22-100 ohms at the output of each op-amp that will drive a cable to swamp against capable capacitance possibly sending the op-amp into instability.

You might also like to simply parallel two 0.1uF for your sub low-pass as well instead of using a 0.22uF, but this is being a little picky and I guess you are short on space. I'd also look into cascading two of those filters to cut off more sharply.

richie00boy said:
I would also add a resistor of 22-100 ohms at the output of each op-amp that will drive a cable to swamp against capable capacitance possibly sending the op-amp into instability.

The buffers, or all the opamps?

You might also like to simply parallel two 0.1uF for your sub low-pass as well instead of using a 0.22uF, but this is being a little picky and I guess you are short on space. I'd also look into cascading two of those filters to cut off more sharply.

Which filters? The lowpass?

Matttcattt said:
I've updated the diagram to check i've got the right idea.

For the summing op-amp I would use lower value resistors (like 22k).
You have an input buffer now.
Also, you will optimize dc-offset if instead of connecting NI directly to ground you use a resistor.
That resistor value should be the parallel combination of the other three resistors.

richie00boy said:
Why is that Carlos? In the dozens of such circuits I have built it has yet to appear a problem. Sure the input if floating needs them to provide bias current, but I don't see why the output needs them.

The output should not be floating, as it will if there's no device connected.
It needs a return path.
Just try what happens when an op-amp has it's output(s) floating. Touch the op-amp with your finger and feel the heat.:D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.