effects of gain selector switch in the feedback loop?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am going to build a preamp based on PMA's opa627/buf634 layout. It's going to drive an opa549 based amp, so the pre will have to have some amount of gain (since the max gain on opa549 is around 10, and this is not enough by itself). However, I would like to have the option of using the pre to drive different amplifiers as well, so I would like to be able to switch the gain between unity and whatever I decide for the opa549 setting.

If I put a simple SPDT switch in the feedback path of the opa627 to switch between two different resistors, will it have any negative effect on the sound? My guess is no, but perhaps others have actually tried this and know for sure? :confused:

Thanks for the suggestion... I'll implement it this way. I like the idea of having a resistor in the feedback path permanently. That way if the switch ever fails for some reason, the preamp will just revert back to unity gain. :)

As far as clicks go, I don't think I'll ever be changing the gain while the amplifier is on. I plan on leaving the switch directly on the circuit board (completely inside the chassis) since I think the only time I will change gain is if I move the preamp from the opa549 amp to a different amplifier. That will probably not happen often, so it won't be too much trouble to open the amp up and flip the switch manually. Plus it might be dangerous to have a gain selector on the outside... it might get pressed on accident when I'm driving an amp which expects line level input.

scone said:
Thanks for the suggestion... I'll implement it this way. I like the idea of having a resistor in the feedback path permanently. That way if the switch ever fails for some reason, the preamp will just revert back to unity gain. :)

As far as clicks go, I don't think I'll ever be changing the gain while the amplifier is on. I plan on leaving the switch directly on the circuit board (completely inside the chassis) since I think the only time I will change gain is if I move the preamp from the opa549 amp to a different amplifier. That will probably not happen often, so it won't be too much trouble to open the amp up and flip the switch manually. Plus it might be dangerous to have a gain selector on the outside... it might get pressed on accident when I'm driving an amp which expects line level input.

My JRDG Model 2 had a switch able input gain and impendence. Both switch able on the fly. It was nice to be able to do direct comparisons between the settings. Connected to my Proceed AVP the low gain and high impedance settings were best.

Upupa, as always, has the best suggestions and sound(pun intended) advice...

He could do something like this:

Attachments

• switch.jpg
    switch.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 222
rabstg said:
My JRDG Model 2 had a switch able input gain and impendence. Both switch able on the fly.

Studio gear sometimes has input gain selection, usually between +4 and -10dB to allow switching between different line levels. I'm actually going to have output gain selection, which I think has the potential of harming the amplifier depending on what setting is used. (gain of 3 = +9.5dB). I figure I'll hide the switch inside the amp and avert potential danger. :hot:

scone said:
or method 2, hook the switch up in parallel with the resistor in the ground leg, like in this picture. I guess the 2nd method is best since the switch stays out of the signal path?

This method is best, but as Upupa says place the switch on the other side of the resistor. Now I don't think it would make a significant difference but I've quite second-guessing Pavel a while ago. ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.