Finished my snubberized BrianGT LM4780s

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Brian was kind enough to send me a hybrid LM4780 kit with the snubberized PS. Well, I spent today with the help of my wife doing blind listening tests against the plain vanilla LM4780 kit, and folks it was not at all hard to tell the difference.

The snubberized version ALWAYS plays with far more authority. There is a very noticable improvement to the beefiness and luscious goodness of the midrange and bass, while the top end seems excellent on both versions.

The snubberized version plays louder, and it just does not run out of steam as quickly as the standard version.

The improvement is vast. I am hoping this will be the impetus for Brian to create a LM4780 rev2 board specifically for the snubberized PS. I for one would buy a couple more.

One note, when I first got the snubberized amp working, the right channel was running quite hot. I double checked all my soldering, it was fine. I desoldered the LM4780 and replaced it with a new one, problem solved, seems I got a bad IC. Other than that it was smooth sailing. I referred to Brians snubberized Lm3875 pics to help me with the cap placement on the amps.

I have already dismantled the original 4780 boards for conversion to snubberized versions, there is no way I would go back. Here are some pics of the new amps in their new home.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Thanks Brian, I am a happy puppy. :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.