LM 3875 finished...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have just finished my Brian gt Lm 3875 standard amp. Went very smoothly , cheers Brian for the excellent boards. I have been listening today. I have an Audiolab 8000Q and have replaced the two 8000P with the chipamp and I it is driving my B&W matrix 3 prototypes very well. I was supprised to hear that it powered them so easily. I used a 225v toroidal that powers both channels.i am using a Systemdek 2x with modified Rb250 and a Pass Labs Pearl phono stage

I wasnt expecting the amp to compare too well with the audiolabs. apart from the power which as I say impressed me I dont have too much good to say about the sound in general.
But I will start with the positive. The top mid seems to be the most detailed and has a satisfying clarity to it. I was suprised not to hear much top end definition and there seems to be a distinct lack of air for example on cymbals and other such percussion. The midrange is quite muddy and lacks seperation that causes most of my annoyance. The bass is very uncontrolled at loudish levels , I think this is more to do with the speakers I am using .
I think even though the volume is not an issue the fact that the speakers are quite demanding the little amp cant cope too well.
at lower volume levels the bass behaves better.

all in all I would think the amp could power some small floor standers or some book shelfs quite well. I know the 47 Labs amps are suited towards efficiant single driver speakers that I may look into diying. I would rate the amp as being comparable with say some of the mid range cambridge audio amps.

Dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.