Rotel amps vs LM4780 which is better?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I built an LM3875 NIGC on a piece of perf board with an old hammond transformer and old used caps from monitor scrounge and I'm now getting rid of my Nads, a Rotel, a Crown and Heathkit gear to build my own (except with better caps etc).
I expect much nicer sound when done and the proceeds from my other gear will easily pay for it.
Hugh

Disabled Account
Joined 2005
what LM4780 sounds much better than ROTEL or DENON ohhhhhhh my god really I am shocked....

what makes :bigeyes: LM4780 to be so good than those premium amps?

I have even heard that jeff Rowland uses these LM series chips.

Great chip amps... thank God its an end to the searching of amps.

If i use 6th order crossover then amp will be stable?

I am asking you because Jeff Rowland amps are using these. So why cant we use this with excellent crossovers like 6th order crossovers?

True,Jeff Rowland does use LM3886 for his Model 12,6 pcs per phase(as it is fully balanced).First time i saw it's internal picture,i was shocked! :eek: How come LM3886s are used in a high-end power amp?!

Anymore,it doesnt matter u use discrete or integrated devices for your amp,as long as it sounds good.

If some 1 really want to compare a LM4780 to Rotel/Denon/NAD/(any brand your name it),is quite not fair as the devices both using are different.If the manufacturers use LM4780s too,and your project still sounds better,then u really are"that damned good"(any WWE Triple-H fan????)

I've listened to my Rotel 871 integrated side by side with my super-snubberificated TDA7294 chipamp. The chipamp beats it handily. However, there are so many caveats to this simple conclusion:

- the chipamp transformer, power supply system (large main caps + small, fast bypass + Carlos' magic treatment) is way better than the Rotel's. DC block caps are BG NX in "super-E" layout.
- the preamp section (the chipamp is implemented as integrated with buffered linestage) is also much better IMO than the Rotel's, which uses a zener regulated supply into opa2604 opamps (upgraded to opa2134).

A number of the improvements to power supply can be applied to the Rotel, so the linestage is now also snubberified, as are parts of the output stage p/s. The result is that the gap is now not that great.

BTW: the chipamp is mainly better in bass (control), speed and imaging. Part of this is probably credited to the BGs. The relatively shorter signal paths, better volume pot, etc, on the TDA amp all contribute to the whole.

What make it better

is, that it is make by your own hands ;) . Argue with JR's is dubious, 'cos we can ask, why don't make it other manufacturers the same, connection with this circuit is not patented. Claiming, that only LM are " right " and guys from Rotel and Denon are only idiots, which don't knows, what they doing, is rather simply. :cool:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.