where to get transformer for "classic" GainClone? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th February 2005, 07:16 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default where to get transformer for "classic" GainClone?

Any body know where to get the transformers for the classic GainClone. I've been told it needs to have these specs:
QUOTE]The transformer should be rated to around 150-300 VA and be either a torroid, R-core or C-core type with dual secondary windings of 16 VAC. This will provide 25 wpc with LM3875s. 12 or 15 VAC secondaries can also be used successfully.[/QUOTE]
Old 13th February 2005, 01:23 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default Plitron is popular

Many people, including myself, have used Plitrons both with and without the shield. Do a search for "Plitron" on this forum and I think you will get the idea. The prices are in Canadian Dollars.

http://www.plitron.com/pages/Products/Std/Standard.htm

A few years back Hammond had a less expensive and readily available alternative (stocked by Newark I believe) that some people were enthusiastic about and others found noisey. Definitely worth exploring and getting some more current product feedback.

There are great buys in surplus transformers available but you have to find them yourself!
Old 13th February 2005, 06:53 PM   #3
scone is offline scone  United States
diyAudio Member

A quick search of the archives will turn up quite a few links to trafo manufacturers. In the mean time you should check out avel lindberg. Their Y32 line has quite a selection of toroidal trafos that would work very well... in fact I'm using one of them in my gc.
Old 13th February 2005, 11:22 PM   #4
G4ME is offline G4ME  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to G4ME
Partsexpress.com has Avels, but might get you for shipping, also try and contact them directly, i found a distribution plant in Conn that is selling them a few buck cheaper then PE and will ship USPS.
Two little mice fell in a bucket of cream. The first mouse quickly gave up and drowned. The second mouse, wouldn't quit. He struggled so hard that eventually he churned that cream into butter and crawled out.
Old 13th February 2005, 11:55 PM   #5
scone is offline scone  United States
diyAudio Member

I'm not sure how much parts express would charge for shipping, but I ordered direct from Avel and the "cheapest" shipping rate was $11.60... that depends on weight too though (I ordered a 500VA toroid). I think I remember that it was shipped via UPS...
Old 14th February 2005, 01:46 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

I used Avel Lindberg as well, I cannot remember if I ordered from PE or direct from Avel Lindberg.

I only used a 160VA because I wanted to sqeeze the entire stereo amp into those small Bud extruded aluminum chassis.

The transformer is within a half inch of the rectifier PCB, and the two channel PCB's are farther, but not much.

There is no shielding at all on the transformer, and it's dead silent with no hum.

However, next time I'll find a bigger chassis.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chipamp2.jpg (67.8 KB, 199 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!