Have anybody used Scanspeak drivers with Gain clone amplifier? tell me how it is...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i want to use the scanspeak drivers with gain clone...
Go right ahead..... It's a great combination. I would recommend sticking with the 8 ohm's drivers, though. Makes the life of your gainclone somewhat easier;) I have been driving Proac Response 2.5 clones with at least 5 chipamps and was not at all disapointed. Good luck.

Steen.

steenoe said:
Short answer: No.
If you aim at top drivers like that, you would probably be better off in the Passlabs section of this forum;)
I'm curious, do you say that because of how a well-designed gainclone sounds compared to a well-designed class A amp, or because of power handling problems? I have no real experience with class A amps (i've heard a few nicer ones, but I've never owned or built one) so I have no real way to judge how they sound.

The reason I ask is because there are several very popular class A topologies that are around 30-40W, so not terribly more dynamic than a single chip inverted gainclone. Would you still say they work better with a fancy set of tweeters? I am not under any circumstances trying to turn this into a chipamp vs. class A debate. :hot: I am merely curious if this is simply a power thing, or something more complicated. :confused:

What I said was based entirely on listening, nothing else:)
Having been through a good deal of comparisons of amps, I have a feeling the GC is not quite up there with the best. But who would expect that? Talking about value for your bucks, not much beats the GC. Especially if it is a "CC" (As Marius coined the CarlosFM clone) The best sounding version to my ears so far.
But that was not the point. This DIY'er seems to want some really expensive speakers, and I think he would be shooting bugs with a canon, driving them with a GC.

Steen.

steenoe said:
Especially if it is a "CC" (As Marius coined the CarlosFM clone) The best sounding version to my ears so far.

Steen.

Offcource it had to be me. :)

and it's great for popping fuses as well :cool:

diysmartdeep21:
have you tested the ringradiators?
you seem to feel pretty strong for them?

i'm thinking of using them as well in a design i'm hoping to put together this fall.

-marius

By far the biggest source of error in an audio playback system is the room-speaker interface. I don't see any reason why a well executed LM Series chip amp couldn't work wonderfully with the best drivers available. Your skills at speaker design and the room they are placed within will be far more critical than the difference between a very expensive Class A amp & a well executed LM series amp.

I would tend to agree with Kevin's statement. Coupling a GC amp with a nice tweeter will yield better results that coupling a GC amp with a cheaper tweeter, thats a given. Using a very expensive tweeter with a well designed traditional amp may yield better results than a GC, but I believe the improvements would be marginal, it would be up to the designer to decide if the improvement in sound is worth the increase in cost.

I would tend to agree with Kevin's statement. Coupling a GC amp with a nice tweeter will yield better results that coupling a GC amp with a cheaper tweeter, thats a given. Using a very expensive tweeter with a well designed traditional amp may yield better results than a GC, but I believe the improvements would be marginal, it would be up to the designer to decide if the improvement in sound is worth the increase in cost.
Motion, you hit it right on:) I could not agree more. We are talking about marginals, not everybody appreciate them;) (The marginals) But those who does, often make a strong point about it;)

Steen.

Guys, I've heard Linn (chip)amps driving very expen$ive (and good IMHO) Linn Akurate 5-way speakers with active crossovers and it sounds very good.
Chipamps?
Yes.
And the LM chips are very good.
Of course, there are amps and amps, using the same chip.
Some sound like a million dollars, some can sound like a boombox.
But that's not the point here.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.