diysmartdeep21's merged chip amp thread

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I want to use STK amplifier for my 10 inch 120mm magnet 60 watts woofer is stk stable

I want to use STK amplifier for my 10 inch 120mm magnet 60 watts woofer is stk stable

I want to use the higher order crossovers and like 3rd order crossovers with STK ics

which is the best IC in STK series with 60watts output....

just give me the information regarding this....

best regards,
Sandeep

FACT OR FAKE REGARDING STK ICs do they blow up speakers?

what ive heard about STK ICS sometimes they fail and all the DC voltage is suddenly appears accross the speakers and they finally blow up !!!!!!!! the speakers!!!!! is this true?

what must be done in order to avoid this ..... give me an advice...

ive heard that if we use the speaker protection ckt then it works firne but give me some links so that ican build a simple speaker protection ckt...

try some ti opa549 with hefty power supply.. will drive almost anything within its power limits, but has only a 36 w power rating.. sonically, its one of the finest amps you can find, provided the project is done with utmost attention to component quality and construction...

Hi sandeep,
Though I am not good at these kind of problems :rolleyes: I would certainly let you know if I learn something. On "how to get around this kind of speaker blowup problem." Meanwhile just try tweaking out with a fuse :att'n: rated slightly less the the current carrying capability of the speaker coil.

Peace

Deepak

HOW TO CALCULATE THE FUSE VALUE FOR THE SPEAKER PROTECTION WITH STK AMPS amp

how to calculate the speaker protection with fuse

so how to calculate the fuse value?

like for an example sometime the stability of the STK AMPS are not good in that case how can one use the protection for that...

fuse does it work?

60W should be achievable at 8 ohm if you just supply enough voltage and current and take care of cooling the thing (can't go wrong with building the thing for 60W RMS continuous sine waves :p will be very reliable in casual use).

diysmartdeep21 said:
breez .... well what must be the current ratings of the transformer that must be used

and what about the capcitors for filters like.. im expecting to use about 20,000 uf per rail and totally 40,000 uf total so...

For ~60W you'd need at least 2.75A per rail. Rail voltages need to be ~22V * 1.41 + 1.1 (diode loss) + 4 (chip needs headroom) = ~36.1V plus whatever headroom is needed for ripple. So you are going to need 38-40V rails. A 2x28VAC, 2x3A transformer would be just enough. If you want to be on the safe side you could get a transformer with higher current capability. This is for one channel.

20000uF per rail sounds good.

another edit: With very high rail voltages you need adequate cooling even with 8 ohm load. This amp will not be happy with 4 ohm load anymore with these rails, it heats like no tomorrow...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.