Finished BrianGT LM3875 kit

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Final listening is yet to be done, and I need to rework the face to take care of the hole left by the aborted potentiometer, but it's now done and playing nicely. The chassis is plywood with aluminum tape and aluminum flashing for internal shielding. The skins are white acrylic. There are oval holes in the bottom and top to let air flow through the heatsinks.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Retired diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2002
MtBiker said:
Final listening is yet to be done, and I need to rework the face to take care of the hole left by the aborted potentiometer, but it's now done and playing nicely. The chassis is plywood with aluminum tape and aluminum flashing for internal shielding. The skins are white acrylic. There are oval holes in the bottom and top to let air flow through the heatsinks.

.image.
.image.

Looks good! If you e-mail me some pictures, I can add you to my gainclone gallery.

--
Brian

Hey Kec,

What kind of cable did you use in your mono blocks to go from the rca in to the signal in on the pcb? Looks like some sort of coaxial cable. I'm about to put together one of my BrianGT kits and I was wondering what sort of cable to use for this purpose. I was just going to use some twisted pair from a cat5 cable, but I would like to assemble this kit as nicely as I can.

-steve

toque_101 said:
Hey Kec,

What kind of cable did you use in your mono blocks to go from the rca in to the signal in on the pcb? Looks like some sort of coaxial cable. I'm about to put together one of my BrianGT kits and I was wondering what sort of cable to use for this purpose. I was just going to use some twisted pair from a cat5 cable, but I would like to assemble this kit as nicely as I can.

-steve

you should use whatever you used for your interconnects (assuming you like them and they are practical enough to place in chasis)
same thing for connecting binding posts, use your speaker wire. this way you dont get two different colourations in one connection.

What kind of cable did you use in your mono blocks to go from the rca in to the signal in on the pcb? Looks like some sort of coaxial cable.

Yes, It's Canare coax that I had laying around. Some here feel that coax should not be used (due to capacitance) at the input, but it sounds good to me. And, there is absolutely NO hum!

Allen Ross, Thanks for compliment.

Sorry MtBiker, I didn't mean to hijack your thread. I thought I could get Brian's attention since he just posted here. I realize he's busy with the new boards.

pixpop, That's one of the email addresses that I tried, mine also got bounced back.

-Ken

Joined 2002
pixpop said:
Brian,

received my 3875 kit today, thanks. I tried to email you at brian@chipamp.com but the email bounced. Is that the correct address?

Neil Baylis

kec said:

pixpop, That's one of the email addresses that I tried, mine also got bounced back.

It shouldn't have bounced, can you try mailing me again? I have been receiving other mails without problems.

--
Brian

Joined 2002
kec said:
Brian,

I've been trying to email pics of my GC a couple of months ago. I get some of the emails bounced back. Then I emailed you the link to my photobucket account. In case you do see this, here is my link http://photobucket.com/albums/v521/kecline/

Nice job on your GC MtBiker!

-Ken

I put your pictures up on my website here:
http://www.briangt.com/gallery/nigc-kec

I am able to receive mails currently, and am not sure what the problem was.

Your amps look great!

--
Brian

Joined 2002
MtBiker said:

/B]

I put your pictures here, let me know if you have any more.
http://www.briangt.com/gallery/nigc-mtbiker

You are the 46th gallery entry for finished gainclone amps.

--
Brian

So I spent an hour really listening to the amp today. I compared it to my Odyssey Stratos, and with the limited material I used, they really sounded too much alike for me to make a convincing call. I have to add that my speakers need a sub and that the sub was off the whole time, therefore I can't speak to the bass performance of the LM3875.

I listened to some spanish guitar, an orchestral piece, and the intro to Tool's Ticks & Leeches, which is a killer drum track. It stood up well to all of them. Interestingly enough, the one thing it choked on was a piano recording of Jingle Bells done by Ray Kimber. That recording has a very high dynamic range and the right channel clipped or did something disconcerting very briefly 2-3 times. I wonder if I reached an inherent limit of the LM3875 or if I need a beefier power supply...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.