No fuses in gainclones? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd February 2005, 02:49 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to demogorgon
never used them, never gone wrong without..

have a few though.. maby i'l do it, but then again thats just empty talk..
never cared to think longer than my nose stretches really
Old 2nd February 2005, 03:03 PM   #12
Warp Engineer
On Holiday

Well for starters, operation without a fuse is illegal in many parts of the world and will certainly do less than wonderful things for your house insurance. To properly protect your device, you should use correctly rated fuses on each of the primary and secondary windings.
Old 2nd February 2005, 03:21 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Here's what I have gathered over the years regarding secondary winding protection on transformers...

On US machinery, it is was uncommon to see secondary fuses 20 years ago. Typically, that fuse will not protect the transformer in a short condition and it was thought that the secondary windings are going to burn anyhow. I am guessing that it was not a NEC (National Electric Code) requirement. Secondary protection may have been a requirement of the more stringent NFPA (National Fire Protection Association) or city codes like Los Angeles and Port of Portland among others.

Over the last couple decades, European machinery (and particularly machines complying to CE safety requirements) were either fused or OL breaker equiped on the secondaries. It's interesting to note that the CE standard control voltage is 24VDC compared to US standards of 110VAC.

So it is a world market, and we see secondary protection as standard construction feature on most industrial equipment today.

I have not used secondary protection on my GC's. Don't know if I'm right or wrong, it's just my observations.

If somebody has NEC 2005, I'm all ears.

My 2 cents.
Old 21st February 2005, 04:56 PM   #14
runer is offline runer  Norway
diyAudio Member

If I use fuses on the secondaries, what would happen if I blow a fuse on only one of the rails?
Would that generate a full rail voltage across the speaker from the remaining rail, or would the chip protection prevent that?
I'd rather protect my very expensive speakers first, and the cheap chipamp second.
Old 21st February 2005, 11:33 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

A circuit would no longer exist...
Old 22nd February 2005, 12:16 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Quote:
Originally posted by runer
If I use fuses on the secondaries, what would happen if I blow a fuse on only one of the rails?
Would that generate a full rail voltage across the speaker from the remaining rail, or would the chip protection prevent that?
I'd rather protect my very expensive speakers first, and the cheap chipamp second.
Even with one rail missing, there will be no DC offset at the output. The circuit will not be damaged either.

Happened to me at least two times.

Without the load, the circuit will show DC offset (with one rail missing), in presence of the load the offset disappears. You can experiment with it using 8 ohm power resistor instead of a speaker.
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 22nd February 2005, 03:27 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

So,, are fuses recommended between the rectifier board and amp boards? If so V+ V- ?

Thanks,
Pete
Old 22nd February 2005, 07:09 AM   #18
Electrons are yellow and more is better!
diyAudio Member

I have secondary fuses when I'm using "big" transformers and none for small like < 20VA.
Old 25th March 2005, 02:56 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Default What fuse ratings for primary and secondary?

I have read the posts in this listing and conclude 1 primary and 2 secondary fuses are a good way to go for the brian gt lm3875 rev3.

What rating is appropriate (using a 330va avex toroid) for:

a) primary
b) each of the secondaries

For a 3 prong plug 110vac, where does the center ground connection go? This is for a wood enclosure.

Does polarity matter for the other two 110vac leads? No difference on the primary connectino for these, right?

Hide this!Advertise here!