Who has tried a current boosted op-amp (with a transistor) as a chip-amp buffer? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd January 2005, 08:15 PM   #1
sardonx is offline sardonx  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Who has tried a current boosted op-amp (with a transistor) as a chip-amp buffer?

I might try this sometime down the line...anybody dunnit?
Old 23rd January 2005, 08:48 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

something like this
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image002.jpg (5.6 KB, 825 views)
Old 23rd January 2005, 11:24 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

notes:
1.) without drawing a feedback path, the cirucit is fairly meaningless.
2.) the output stage is classA, which means you will have approximately Vee/R1 amps of current flowing at all times, making for (Vcc + Vee)(Vee/R) watts of dissipation. for anything more then headphones this will be a lot of heat.

there are various designs for this though. most use a classB output stage though. note that the stability of the opamp+transistor is different then just the opamp by itself. you may need a high Gain-Bandwidth-Product opamp to acheive enough bandwidth at the higher gains required for stability.

also, the opamp must be able to handel a load of Beta * Rl. if Rl = 10 and B = 100, this comes to a 1kohm load.

i suggest that you start with a headphone amp and this design, then work up to a loudspeaker amplifer
Old 23rd January 2005, 11:28 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

You might want to wire Vout to the opamp negative input. I used something very much like this with a 2N3904 to drive Sennheiser 580s, and it works a treat. The only thing you want to watch is the emitter resistor - it has to be low enough resistance compared to the load that the load is adequately driven at all output voltages.

Francois.
Old 24th January 2005, 01:12 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
i suggest that you start with a headphone amp and this design, then work up to a loudspeaker amplifer

theChris,

Read the title carefully. I don't want to make a loudspeaker amplifier. "buffer = line amplifier!!"

DSPGeek,

How would you say it improved the sound?
Old 25th January 2005, 02:51 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

what are you trying to acheive with this? also, what of feedback?
Old 25th January 2005, 03:22 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sardonx

DSPGeek,

How would you say it improved the sound?

Well, it replaced a 4556 headphone driver, so I was starting from a fairly easy place to improve. I used a TL072 with the aforementioned 2n3904 transistors as buffers, and 470 uF bypassed with 0.1uF on each supply line. Given the tests weren't even single-blind, I thought the bass went quite a bit deeper while being more defined at the same time, and the highs seemed a bit more transparent.

This arrangement requires positive bias on the buffer transistor, so before clipping the opamp is always delivering current to its base, which is reminiscent of opamp output biasing proposed by some folks here (although not as high current, obviously).

Francois.
Old 25th January 2005, 03:43 AM   #8
Stocker is offline Stocker  United States
diyAudio Member

leaving the question of classA operation of monolithic opamps aside, have you had a look at the "gainclone afterburner" type ideas presented here?
Old 25th January 2005, 11:35 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Hello,

Chris,
I'm not an electrinics wizard but apparently boosting op-amp output currents improves the sound. Go to http://www.zero-distortion.com/start.htm and check out the article.

DSP,
Thanks.. that's what the writer of the aforementioned article says about the sound too.

Stocker,
I just read the thread on the afterburner. Although it seems like an interesting project It doesn't seem like a very proven one as of yet. That's not to say that I won't try it.. but i'd specifically like to experiment with beffering the chip amp first and getting the best sound that way. Then after that i can move on to a different project.

sardon
Old 25th January 2005, 11:37 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Stocker,
On second though.. it might make for a cool amp to have a current boosted pre section and chip amp. Hrmph..

Hide this!Advertise here!