LM3886 vs LM3875, for those that have heard both only!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
As Brian is making the jump to the LM3886 for his next set of boards, I was begining to question the differences between the two chips. Brian himself has said that he has not had the chance to compare both chips head to head, so i would like to open this thread to people's opinion about the sound of these chips.

:att'n: both chips are very similar specs-wise, so i would prefer that this thread does not become a spec comparison by people who have never heard both chips! i think most people are capable of reading a data sheet. :att'n:

If possible, describe your implementation of the chips, speakers used and your subjective (yes!) listening impressions.

Having build both lm3886 and lm3875 amp several times, I hope that I am permitted to compare specs:

very simmilar you said?

slew rate
lm3886: 19V/us
lm3875: 11V/us

Iq
lm3886: 50mA
lm3875: 30mA

max Iout
lm3886: 11A
lm3875: 6A

My first chip-amp was a p2p lm3886, which was very satisfying, and I actually couldn't tell it a part from a lm3875 p2p amp I build later. In between I build a BrianGT chip-amp kit (premium version) which did seem to sound particularry good and has become my favorite.

cheers,
Thijs

Thanks for your input tschrama. I didnt want people comparing specs because more than often these dont mean much for the final musicality and sound quality of an amp. I think specs should be compared when determining the proper chip/component for the job (enough power/voltage-heat handling etc). sound quality cant really be measured IMO.

so in your P2P implementation, both chips sounded the same. Was this in inverting or non-inverting mode?

Any others have some listening impressions to share?

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Both sound nice, but I found the 3886 much more dependant on layout and schematic. Initially I found it compressed, but after experimentation was more impressed by its control than that of the 3875, though the 3875 does sound more friendly/valve like, if thats your thing. This was in inverting mode however, as I tried NI with some of my first 3875s and OPA548s and much preferred inverted mode.

Posted on another thread, but i think is of value in this one:

soundNERD said:
I used the same transformer (+/-36VDC) and the same speakers (B&W DM580 I think). No, I didn't try them at the same time, but when I listened to the 3886 I remember hearing hissing, there was a turn on/off thump, and I noticed higher distortion at lower volume. The sound, although much better than the kenwood 100x2 amp I had in there at the time, didn't seem that great. It seemed to be weak with bass, and too much treble.

When I tried my 3875 stereo amp, I was unable to do a direct comparason because I had already used the 3886 amp boards in something else I've built. But I instantly noticed that the bass was perfect with the music, not too loud or boomy its annoying, but not too weak either. And, the high and mid frequencies sounded very good.

There were only slight differences with the amps. the 3886 amps were built on a PCB, while the 3875 was assembled P2P. And, except for the mute, the circuits were almost identical. They are both built using the schematic from the datasheet. The only difference was I didn't use the capacitor *Ci on the LM3875 amp.

I believe the mute circuit is in the signal path somehow, otherwise I don't know how it would mute it.

This is just my opinion, so I would see what others think before choosing one. Or, since the chips are so cheap, you can just build them both and see what you prefer.

Retired diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2002
rabstg said:
I don't think Brian is leaving the LM3875 only "expanding" his offerings.

Both of Brian's boards function in NON-inverting mode.

LM3886 GC's are common in both where as LM3875 GC's are *usually* NON-inverting.

Compare apples to apples, etc....

I am not leaving any of the chipamps. My goal is to provide a collection of boards for the LM3886, LM3875 and LM4780. The goal is diversity. One chip might be better in one application, and worse in another. I would like to try them all out and see what works best for me.

--
Brian

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
homer09 said:
Any thoughts on the sound of the LM3886 vs LM3875 in NI mode?

Well, the 3886 is nearly done, so i suppose I'll have to dig out one of my old NI 3875s, wherever it went...

Attachments

• 3886.jpg
    3886.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 990
rabstg said:
Brian stated that his LM3886 boards are the same demensions as his LM3875 boards. And since they are both non-inverting, it will be fairly easy to swap out the boards in the same chassis and compare the sound.

Brian-

When will the new boards be available?

Yes, i guess this will be the very best test. I will just have to wait and see. Hopefully some of you out there have GCs that could easily accept the switch without too much work and will post their listening impressions.

rabstg, follow the thread about BrianGT's new 3886 layout, he is still perfecting it. once this is done, expect a 2 week lead time.

pinkmouse said:

My Krell clone and AX are still waiting for money to come in so I can get all the bits I need, (not to mention all the work that needs doing on the house!)

Hi pinkmouse. I don't see the problem. Build the Krell clone and move right in ;)

As for the 2 chips I'm favouring the 3875. I've just been testing a 3886 and prefer the bass from the '75 for acoustical music especially. Vocals are sweeter too.

Now if we could get a sound engineer to bring their studio monitors and rate which one which reproduces their intended recording more accurately we'll have an excellent reference to go by.

20C

I started using 3886 way before I heard of gainclone rave. After that I tried 1875, 3875 aka gaincard circuit.. but it never really beat the 'dark' qualities of my original 3886. I found the 3886 has sweeter midrange, detailed bass, its like the best of tubes and solid state. However, I never used exact PS, caps, layout so it is not a really fair comparison. 3886 is prone to oscillations and takes a more careful planning, but its still on top of my list.

Re: 20C

homer09 said:
Thats quite a request! ;)

It's a hell of a request but it'd be brilliant to hear an opinion from someone who knows a recording intimately. Oh well, I can dream :D

skyraider said:
I started using 3886 way before I heard of gainclone rave. After that I tried 1875, 3875 aka gaincard circuit.. but it never really beat the 'dark' qualities of my original 3886. I found the 3886 has sweeter midrange, detailed bass, its like the best of tubes and solid state. However, I never used exact PS, caps, layout so it is not a really fair comparison. 3886 is prone to oscillations and takes a more careful planning, but its still on top of my list.

skyraider, I think you've hit the nail on the head in two ways. The 1st nail, the 3886 is a little "dark"er and for that reason does suit some music types better than the 3875. The fuller bass takes much of the credit for that, I think. I haven't listened to the 3886 enough to make a final call.

The 2nd nail is implementation "...careful planning". I can't help but feel the kit I have isn't making the most of the chip, or perhaps the circuit as a whole, regardless that it uses great components in the chain. I still don't know enough to clarify that, it's just a hunch. The simple elegance of Brian's board layout can take alot of the credit for the 3875's excellent musicality.

Disabled Account
Joined 2004
I had tried LM3875, LM3876, LM3886.

All are NI, gain x30(22K/680) with +/- 24VDC. The rest of components are the same grade ( BG 4.7U, 1000UF Pana FC). Directly drive from NAD CD player via 50K Pot (ALPS). Same speaker ( 88 dB ) in a small room ( 3 x 3.5 x 2.4 m).

Most of music we listen are Jazz, light-classical, Pop, vocal. A few of classic rock album were listen too.

It's hard to hear the difference. But 5 (out of 7) of my 'musician' friends choose the LM3875 as it's close to the live music.

Quote: " We don't know what exactly HI-Fi is, or how good the sound is. We are not audiophile and know nothing about technical terms. However, 5 of us agreed to this one [LM3875] as it more musical, live & fresh. We listen to the MUSIC, not the MACHINE".

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.