My first GainClone is up and running...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Pictures here: Tim's GainClone

Built with briangt's kit and standard parts. I had a bit of a problem with DC offset at first, but fixed (below 1.5mV) with an electrolytic in the feedback circuit as suggested in the app. note.

I was hoping the three cases would give good hum isolation, but there is some hum (only audible with my ear to the speaker), and some pickup of clicks from other appliances in the room - I probably didn't take enough trouble to twist power wires and I didn't use shielded signal cables. I also didn't ground the outer cases (they only receive DC from the power supply - this may be unwise and I'll probably change it as I suppose there's a remote possibility that AC could short to a DC wire...

But the sound - now that the DC offset is fixed - is superb. Very accurate, very listenable, no complaints.

tim.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Hey Tim-

Really good idea. I like the visual effect and the pwr supply isolation.

May I suggest grommets around the holes between enclosures? I would hate to see such a great project go up in smoke due to skinned wire.

Look for "caterpillar grommet" at your local electronic store. I oversize mine a tad bit to keep outward pressure on it and I usually put a dab of silicone or hot glue to hold it in place.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.