Parallel gainclone questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I’ve been checking out the forum for a while now and I think I am going to build a gainclone. I will probably get the LM3875 kit when they are available again from chipamp.com.
I have a few questions though. I will be building a 2 channel amp with room for a third channel later.
The speakers that this will be powering are 4 ohm MTM’s. I have been looking around and understand that with 4 ohm speakers a lower voltage (~25V rails) power supply should be used. I think I have the terminology correct, the rail voltage would be 1.41 * the transformer voltage
I have also read that you can run 2 amps in parallel (with a .22 ohm resister) to drive lower ohm speakers. Do I put a resistor on each output and then combine?
In the manual for the kits it talks a little about running a parallel configuration and says that the amp will see double the load. says this will give higher power but not double. Does anyone know what kind of power I could expect?
If I do this, can I run higher voltage (31V rails) to the amps?
I plan on getting a transformer with around 400-500 VA or should I do this or run with 1 transformer for each channel?

are their kits with the LM3886? I don't have any clue about designing or building a PCB, and I don't want to do a PTP

A lower voltage would be easier on the chip, but if I use adequate heat sinking could I run with higher voltage and be safe?
I am also curious about regulated power supplies. What advantages does this give?

I looked around at 12volt.com but it looked mainly geared for car audio, I didn't see anything about amplifier power. - will have to look harder

thanks for the links guys. I ran some numbers using the spreadsheet from national for 18, 22 and 25V transformers. It looks like if I go with the parallel 3875 and use 18V I would get 93W. Anything above this (i.e. 22V or 25V) is current limited and the output stays at 95W.
Seems like a no brainer to go with the 18V supply.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.