"El Cheapo" DVD candidates thread - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th December 2004, 05:19 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to yldouright Send a message via Yahoo to yldouright
Default "El Cheapo" DVD candidates thread

Okay, the "el cheapo DVD" thread brought some excellent insight from hifizen, CarlosFM and others but what I think would be useful is a thread that identifies the DVD players that are actually worth a modding effort. Here is a shortlist of the desired mechanical qualities:

dual head (CD/DVD OPU)
smooth and durable transport
sufficient rigidity and room to mod
durable controls and switches

and a shortlist of desired components:

24bit 192kHz DAC or better
good audio chip-amps
decent quality decoder chipset

and finally, a shortlist of playback features

SACD
DVD-A/V
DiVX
MP3
region free and copy protection switch or IOW firmware upgradable

The first two categories will be much more important than the last for us seeking audio quality only but I thought I would include it in case the "cheapos" are evenly matched. Feel free to add any features that you think I left out.

Okay, put forward your candidates and be specific about the model. There may be situations where there is a build variance but we will assume for the purpose of this excecise that these cheapos have been manufactured with the same parts. Let the name dropping begin
Old 28th December 2004, 06:03 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default help for power off resume in dvd

Hi all
Any body to help to attach the resume system in my pioneer? DVD player when power off thats not working
Old 28th December 2004, 07:57 AM   #3
Bricolo is offline Bricolo  France
diyAudio Member

doesn't SACD require a "triple head" mechanism?
Old 28th December 2004, 12:23 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

himanshuraval
Please don't post unrelated topics in this thread. If you do this kind of thing again, I will report you to the moderators.

Bricolo
From what I understood reading hifizens posts in the Super Cheap DVD thread, SACD is actually written in DVD format and only the logic decodes it differently so I believe a dual head OPU wil do the job.
Old 28th December 2004, 01:09 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to demogorgon
I haven't seen SACD or DVD-A on any of the cheap player in norway.

Do the cheap players in the us have that? i'm talking about players like 40-50 bucks.. the dollar is quite low theese days, so things are cheap for the rest of us in the us.. it would not kill me to have something sendt overseas..
Old 28th December 2004, 01:49 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

demogorgon
I guess we should qualify the term "cheap". I'm thinking sub $150 so I guess our task may be somewhat challenging. Who knows, if we come upon an acceptable candidate that is slightly out of our range, we may be able to bring it back under with an organized buy. February is an excellent time to find inventory loaded suppliers who are eager to move stock to make way for the newer models. You should also note that I placed the playback features on the last list and gave them the lowest priority. Many people on this forum will bypass the DACs on these players so the greatest weight went to the mechanical attributes of the player.
Old 28th December 2004, 02:44 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

The cheapest universal player that I know is the Poineer DV 575A.
I haven't tried it out so far, so i can't coment on sound and ease of use (some players need the TV for the user interface, even for setting up audio reproduction !) I recently saw it at a German dealer, where it cost approx 180 Euros.
It makes quite a cheap impression from whaight and looks. OTOH the price makes it a suitable candidate for tweaking.
And it should be upgradable to code-free, since some dealers sell it in a code-free version at a slightly higher price.

Regards

Charles
Old 28th December 2004, 02:57 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by phase_accurate
The cheapest universal player that I know is the Poineer DV 575A.
I haven't tried it out so far, so i can't coment on sound and ease of use (some players need the TV for the user interface, even for setting up audio reproduction !) I recently saw it at a German dealer, where it cost approx 180 Euros.
It makes quite a cheap impression from whaight and looks. OTOH the price makes it a suitable candidate for tweaking.
And it should be upgradable to code-free, since some dealers sell it in a code-free version at a slightly higher price.
The 575 hack seems to be accomplished using a Palm and a downloadable software. Look here:

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks.ph...&Search=Search

Looks a bit complicated, but probably is not if you have the tools, particularly the right Palm.

What I wonder is if this hack also disables Macrovision. I am not interested in copying, but I feed my DVD player through my S-VHS recorder, which allows to switch between different sourcers. To go into any recorder there can't be any Macrovision in between.

My present Pioneer (DV525) was alraedy modified when I bought it, but I think it's time to update it.

Any of you has this portable Polaroid decks?

Carlos
Old 28th December 2004, 03:02 PM   #9
revell is offline revell  Belgium
diyAudio Member

I got this one from an overstock sale: 12 euros
I'm going to rebuild the case so it matches the style of my gainclone (as soon as I get that working BrianGT amp burst into flames

The transport is from asatech (www.asatech.cc) and is used in toshibas and sony so I guess it won't be too bad
As for the rest, the transformer is miniscule, and I don't really know what is what on the audio board
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dvd-internal.jpg (86.1 KB, 621 views)
Old 28th December 2004, 03:05 PM   #10
revell is offline revell  Belgium
diyAudio Member

and a close up from the transport
Attached Images
File Type: jpg transport.jpg (60.5 KB, 523 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!