Remote volume control

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was wondering if this idea would work fine...

With my current PC speakers, it has a remote volume control (with a power switch) that I have to the side of my keyboard. Now i've got a BrianGT kit on order and was wondering if instead of having the pot on the amp itself, maybe I could have a little box with RCA inputs and RCA outputs and the pot?

Also, I was thinking that if I make this little remote volume control, maybe still have a pot on the amp for when it will be used without the remote volume control, and have a bipass switch for when I do use it?

These things aren't going to hurt the performance or sound much (none that a n00b like me will hear, hehe)?

Even though remote volume control is one way to describe it, doing so implies the use of an IR or other wireless control.

This is more commonly known by other names: passive attenuator, passive pre-amp, passive volume control, etc. The common theme being passive.

There are a number of threads for this sort of thing in the chip and tube amp forums. Many discuss the use of (very) high quality pots or stepped attenuators. Some use rotary switches connected to resistor arrays and others use digital pots.

This is nothing more than extending the wiring outside the box that would normally enclose the volume control. Go for it and enjoy.

:)ensen.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.