Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Remote volume control
Remote volume control
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 27th December 2004, 09:05 AM   #1
poeee is offline poeee  Australia
diyAudio Member
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Geelong
Send a message via MSN to poeee
Default Remote volume control

I was wondering if this idea would work fine...

With my current PC speakers, it has a remote volume control (with a power switch) that I have to the side of my keyboard. Now i've got a BrianGT kit on order and was wondering if instead of having the pot on the amp itself, maybe I could have a little box with RCA inputs and RCA outputs and the pot?

Also, I was thinking that if I make this little remote volume control, maybe still have a pot on the amp for when it will be used without the remote volume control, and have a bipass switch for when I do use it?

These things aren't going to hurt the performance or sound much (none that a n00b like me will hear, hehe)?
  Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2004, 10:18 PM   #2
poeee is offline poeee  Australia
diyAudio Member
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Geelong
Send a message via MSN to poeee
Anyone wanna make a comment? This will give me something to do while i'm waiting for my kit to come...
  Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2004, 11:18 PM   #3
purplepeople is offline purplepeople  Canada
diyAudio Member
purplepeople's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: London, Ontario, Canada
Even though remote volume control is one way to describe it, doing so implies the use of an IR or other wireless control.

This is more commonly known by other names: passive attenuator, passive pre-amp, passive volume control, etc. The common theme being passive.

There are a number of threads for this sort of thing in the chip and tube amp forums. Many discuss the use of (very) high quality pots or stepped attenuators. Some use rotary switches connected to resistor arrays and others use digital pots.

This is nothing more than extending the wiring outside the box that would normally enclose the volume control. Go for it and enjoy.

Those who claim to be making history are often the same ones repeating it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2004, 04:12 AM   #4
jleaman is offline jleaman  Belgium
Join Date: Apr 2002
Send a message via AIM to jleaman
you could maybe search for a remote volume control using a alps pot with a motor on the back one for remote and one for the adjustment on the physical amp. Its not a bad idea..
  Reply With Quote


Remote volume controlHide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Volume control on DVD player remote. Lose resolution at low volume? Circlotron Digital Source 2 10th June 2011 07:20 PM
Remote volume control for existing remote? theAnonymous1 Parts 7 6th August 2007 08:22 AM
The remote control paratactic volume control audio-gd Solid State 33 7th June 2007 11:16 PM
remote control motorised control for volume pot/knob CharlesY Parts 0 25th July 2005 11:12 AM

New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 07:41 AM.

Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Resources saved on this page: MySQL 16.67%
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©1999-2018 diyAudio