Remote volume control - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th December 2004, 09:05 AM   #1
poeee is offline poeee  Australia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to poeee
Default Remote volume control

I was wondering if this idea would work fine...

With my current PC speakers, it has a remote volume control (with a power switch) that I have to the side of my keyboard. Now i've got a BrianGT kit on order and was wondering if instead of having the pot on the amp itself, maybe I could have a little box with RCA inputs and RCA outputs and the pot?

Also, I was thinking that if I make this little remote volume control, maybe still have a pot on the amp for when it will be used without the remote volume control, and have a bipass switch for when I do use it?

These things aren't going to hurt the performance or sound much (none that a n00b like me will hear, hehe)?
Old 29th December 2004, 10:18 PM   #2
poeee is offline poeee  Australia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to poeee
Anyone wanna make a comment? This will give me something to do while i'm waiting for my kit to come...
Old 29th December 2004, 11:18 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Even though remote volume control is one way to describe it, doing so implies the use of an IR or other wireless control.

This is more commonly known by other names: passive attenuator, passive pre-amp, passive volume control, etc. The common theme being passive.

There are a number of threads for this sort of thing in the chip and tube amp forums. Many discuss the use of (very) high quality pots or stepped attenuators. Some use rotary switches connected to resistor arrays and others use digital pots.

This is nothing more than extending the wiring outside the box that would normally enclose the volume control. Go for it and enjoy.

:)ensen.
Old 30th December 2004, 04:12 AM   #4
jleaman is offline jleaman  Belgium
Banned

Send a message via AIM to jleaman
you could maybe search for a remote volume control using a alps pot with a motor on the back one for remote and one for the adjustment on the physical amp. Its not a bad idea..

Hide this!Advertise here!