Correct Transformer BrainGT Kit?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey all, before I spend the money I was hoping you guys could tell me if this Toroidal Transformer will work for a dual mono block?
I'd get two so it would be 160VA per channel with 22V+22V which seems to be ok from what I read?

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=122-615

Also if anyone knows of any other links to transformers I can compare to or cheaper :) I'd also appreciate thanks.

It will work, but . . .

It depends more on how high you will play and which loudspeakers (sensitivity and impedance) you will connect to the amplifier.

If you buy a toroid for each channel I would give it a try, but I cannot (and will not) garantee, that you will be satisfied. You have to try it on your system. But if you want to be safe you should go for a 300VA toroid.

But before you go any further, maybe you should read this first:http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/ssps1_e.html

It is a good introduction to power supplies.

So your recommending 300VA toriod for each channel?

From what Ive read before on a mono block design recommended is 80-160VA I thought. This would be 320VA total which claimed to be enough and anything over is overkill.

Is 300VA per block good for this design?
Thanks for the reply.

If anyone built this kit and has a link to the transformers they used that really help me out thanks.

you should keep the trafo rating around 40-60% over teh maximum output of your amp in mo oppinion. that way you wont get large dips in your voltage.

so if you'v got the lm3875kit, wich peaks at 100w with masimum suply voltage, you should have a 140-160w trannie.

it you use the lm4780 kit,wich peaks at 250w (125w*2), then use something like a380w trannie.
at least that's what i do.

-marius

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.