Using Apple iBook transformer with BrianGT kit

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was staring down at the charging unit for my iBook, and in small print it says input 110-240, output 24v. If anyone is interrested it is called the Apple 45W Portable Power Adaptor. There is another one for other ibooks and powerbooks that comes in 90W flavor. Could this unit possibly be a replacement for the transformer in a briangt stereo kit? What other kind of wallplug transformers do you think would work if this is possible?

I doubt it would provide sufficient current (I think they provide about an amp and a half or one and 3/4 @ 24V, which would roughly jive with the 45W rating--still on the small side for a gainclone).

Anyway, those adapters are like $50 a pop, so it'd be cheaper to just build a real supply for the gainclone, and I suspect you'd end up with cleaner power anyway (that, and a supply that won't die every year like the iBook adapters do).

you need + and - voltage. from what you describe it is only +

it would be a pain and not really worth your time to make the converter for it to work. unless you want to run it with single ended, then you will have only 12v or so per "rail" and it will be kind of weak, although it would probbaly work.

for the same pric as that you could get a decent transformer. and parts needed to make a "proper" power supply.

unfortunately most power bricks only have + outputs because most modern digital and computer equipment do not need - rails at all, and even if they do it is at much lower current.

one thing you might look at is power brick for computer subwoofer. i am not sure but i think they probably have + and - output. you should probably put additional filter as well especially if it is a switching supply.

some computer subs are probably digital amps and also only need + supply though so research what you need if you want to go that road..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.