Gainclone speaker cables and OTA diy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All,

What are you using as speaker cable for the GC? I have tried copper foil as well as KLOTZ pro cable and both sound very good.

Has anyone tried the OTA cable? What exactly is this stuff that has the gaincard users raving with delight? Surely there must be a DIY version?!!

Ryan

Carlos, i am using cheapest available coax cable with cooper solid core central wire and aluminium foil and cooper shield, aprox. 0.3$/m :) And i am very satisfied for now with these smooth-sounding cross-connected coaxials.
But i want to try this configuration of cables with better quality coaxials. Unfortunately there is no available Belden's in my country, and i do not know which cable is good alternative for belden.
maybe it is worth to try this cable :

Belden H1000

I just dont know what means "soft annealed cooper" ? And how this is suited to audio aplications?

Alpha core foil

Analog SA,

Is the alphacore foil the same as copper foil that can be brought in small rolls from stained glass outlets?
Is the alpha-core foil special in some way?
Which specific model do you buy and finally, how do you set-it up?
How do you prevent the foils from touching on speaker cable runs?
Is it not very fragile?

Hi Ryan

I just copied PD's recipe.

No idea what stained glass outlets sell but the Alphacore copper is very pure. For termination i used Cardas at the speaker end and just folded and cut the foil in a spade shape at the amp end. The foil is quite sturdy and although i felt bad about folding it and causing extra stress, it seems to play fine. No idea how to fit banana plugs though...

The OTA cable is a very simple thin solid core cable. You can easily use your favourite thin solid core cables with great results. Note 47 Labs do not recommend twisting the OTA cables as it'll increase the capacitance. This is a very imporant point as some GC, especially ones without the zobels to go into oscilliation. Friend of mine made some cat5 twisted cables and his GC went into oscilliation, sounded like the speaker cone was cracking up.

IMOH dont let aluminium anywhere near your system. especially in the wiring.

aluminium oxidizes on contacts as current passes. it is a cheap and crappy metal anyways :) ever see a sax made of aluminium? its also sounds bad.

there is a reason aluminium house wiring was banned in most countries after peoples houses burned down.

however kings/dukes/lords etc of old thought aluminium was godlike material, spent tons of money to get aluminium spoons and forks made . then the ones who were not killed by their ofspring or spies/poison/wives/ all got alsheimers and died.

its rough and ready and easy to machine and work with but why not use normal shielding instead of BAD METAL! :)

BTW said:
Note 47 Labs do not recommend twisting the OTA cables as it'll increase the capacitance. This is a very imporant point as some GC, especially ones without the zobels to go into oscilliation. Friend of mine made some cat5 twisted cables and his GC went into oscilliation, sounded like the speaker cone was cracking up.

I don't know about 47Labs, but I can tell you my experience. We test IGC and NIGC amps with about 6m braided cables made with Cat5, using no zobels, and there was no oscillation whatsoever.

This cable was made "TNT style", braiding 4 cat-5 cables, so the internal wires were not braided. Braiding each wire like on other cables, with lots of pairs, will probably increase capacitance much more.

Perhaps your friend used such cable or no output resistor.

Carlos

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.