Best additions to the BrianGT kits? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st December 2004, 09:15 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Best additions to the BrianGT kits?

Iíve still been reading various threads within the chipamp section and they led me to my next question.

What would you recommend as the top improvements that you can make to the BrianGT kit?

I have added the zobel and really like the results and now I wonder what else can be done to further refine or improve the sound?

Keep in mind that this is my first DIY electronics project so I will probably need some instruction for any ideas you might have.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img_0796.jpg (56.1 KB, 694 views)
Old 21st December 2004, 09:43 AM   #2
DT is offline DT  Lithuania
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to DT Send a message via MSN to DT Send a message via Yahoo to DT
Nice case !
what are you using for painting wood (front plate)?
Old 21st December 2004, 09:53 AM   #3
matjans is offline matjans  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to matjans
i've just been testing the latest addition to my briangt kitcard, a high capacity PSU. Works great, improves the sound dramatically. . check this thread for more information.

i might call the amp the 'Enterprise'
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img_0059.jpg (87.7 KB, 666 views)
Old 21st December 2004, 09:56 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the compliment.

The sides are walnut with an antique cherry stain. The front is quarter sawn sycamore with no stain. All wood parts are finished with lemon shellac.
Old 21st December 2004, 11:21 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to DT Send a message via MSN to DT Send a message via Yahoo to DT
What is "lemon shellac"? It is some sort of varnish?
Maybe you have some links to product you have used or manufacturer?

what i found on the inet:

"Shellac
Many people, who only associate shellac with wood finishing, would be surprised to learn that itís also used in electronics, fireworks, phonograph records and even as a pill coating. Many serious woodworkers and cabinetmakers swear by shellac and use it exclusively. However, the novice must know that shellac comes first in dry form and must be crushed and combined, in varying proportions, with denatured alcohol to obtain the desired mixture - a science unto itself. There are premixed solutions on the market, but shellac mixtures can degrade over time, hence the tendency towards the dried form. Shellac can also be trickier to apply than synthetic coats and the best way to learn the art is to watch an expert. That said, in the hands of said expert, the results can be stunning. Also remember that shellac is not suitable for kitchen applications, as itís easily marred by strong detergents, heat, ammonia, etc.
"

What technology you are using when applying shellac, it is some know-how ?

I have just made my wooden chassis for GC and now i am deciding how to polish my chassis.

sori for stupid question and bad english
Old 21st December 2004, 01:43 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Best additions to the BrianGT kits?

Quote:
[i]I have added the zobel and really like the results and now I wonder what else can be done to further refine or improve the sound?
[/B]
I have just ordered parts for beefing up my PS and adding a snubber for the BrianGT kit like described in the unregulated PSU thread on page 1. Carlos posted a schematic late in the thread that shows you what to do. The parts are simple and not that expensive to do at around $20 for the parts.
Old 21st December 2004, 05:18 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

DT,

Donít worry about your English at all, and I am happy to help. The woodworking & fabrication end of DIY I understand really well and am happy to be able to help. The electronics end is where I run into problems and everyone here has been willing to help me out, so Iíll gladly return the favor.

Try looking at this site if you can.

http://www.shellac.net/faq.html

They have a ton of good info and that is where the shellac used on my case came from. My cousin actually applied the finish for me. He brushed it on, let it dry (about Ĺ hour), and rubbed it down three times.

Craig
Old 22nd December 2004, 06:41 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Hi Craig,

thanks for a good info. This site is amazing. Now i am reading , reading ...

Thank You again.

Dainius

Hide this!Advertise here!