Projects for next hollidays (the world smallest VBITNGC??)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Today, I bought some very small alu cases (60x50x35mm) and immediately had this vision:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The world smallest (?) tube buffered inverting t-network gainclone (please, dont mention heath, the heathsinks are too small). :D

Of course, I will lead cables in and out, for the power supply, in- and output, as there is hardly space for connectors.

@Upupa: dont worry, this project is just for fun! I know, the internal resistance of this tube is too high, but I want to play with it.

Don't worry, to show here your project, for the christmas time!

Franz

P.S.
Another (the first?) project is a real tube amp, with a LCLC PSU and just one stage (SPUD, 6S45 tubes):

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

:D

Thanks for the compliment, Nuuk!

But dont forget: Toblerone was a invention, made here in Bern. Today imho owned by Rowntree or another UK company.

No longer Swiss, in my opinion! And: here in Bern, Ruedi Lindt, invented the long during process, to produce melting chocolate, by using a machine, called Conche.

Today, they use a quick process, pressing the mass throug some small holes. Not the same, definitively!

The best available chocolate comes (imho) from Belgium, today. And next: out of U.K.

Franz

BTW:
Here in Bern, we still have a small and very sucessfully chocolate factory, the name: GYSI (not my family :(((). And they produce a lot for UK, sold under many brands (Homemade...)

So my lovely Toblerone is not the real thing! :bigeyes:

My brother used to bring me Merci chocolates from Germany. They were very good but I am not sure where they were actually made.

Back OT, I intend to try the snubbered PSU over Christmas. I have another longer-term plan and that is to take the tube buffers from
this pre amp and build them into my VBIGC. :smash:

Nah, the best invention that comes from Switzerland are by far the nifty small foldable knives with lots of tools on.
I guess not many of them as actually manufactured in Switzerland anymore. You make quite a few nice clocks/watches as well.
But most of all you are known to make good looking high quality stuff (and expensive), so we hope your build lives up to these standards...

How on earth are you going to fitt all of that in that small box?
The components alone seems to take more space than you got in the box.

You may not believe it: I decided, to use a conventional double triode, eg. E88CC.

Why?

Because the 1AD4 are direct heated valves. This makes it more complicated, more parts needed, to realize a cathode follower.

It should fit in the minicase, most resistors and connections must be soldered direct under the board.

:) :D ;) :cool: :confused: :clown: :) :) :)

Franz

Your case looks as if you went shopping in Bethlehem, maybe this is a good omen for an amp built over Christmas ?!

Smile

No, they are not from Jaeger at Bern Bethlehem, they are from Dreyer in Thun.

Do you know the shop in Bern? Do you live nearby?

But, today I bought this heathsinks in Bethlehem :)

I am preparing a pcb and of course: fitting in all parts will be a challenge, as I did not find any SMD tube sockets :).

Franz

Hi Franz

No I don't live nearby (thoug in a rural area this side of Berne). But they were within convenient walking distance to my workplace when they still had their shop in the city. There is no decent electronics shop left in the city nowadays unfortunately. So one has to travel far or do mail-order.

Regards

Charles

Hi Franz-

I am familiar with tube theory and have worked with tubes(Klystrons and TWT's) but not in the audio spectrum.

I am very curious about those tubes(1AD4).

You mentioned to Upupa you knew they would not be good for your project.

Do you know what were they intended for and if they can be used for audio buffers or moderate gain?

I'm looking at the technical data and am I reading this right? 45VDC as the screen and plate voltage! Man that is low... Last tube I played with had 8K on it...

Edit:

By the way, it looks as though you changed chips to the TF version correct? Also, why squeeze in 4 largish caps? Why not build an external regulated supply and feed both channels with smaller local supply caps? Same cable to pwr supply, just frees up more space.

Hi Rabstg

There are many of this subminiature tubes existing:

DF64
6SH5B
1SH18B
1P24B

Imho, the first of them where invented for the controlling electronics of the V-missiles in WWII.

And after, used for hearing aids :)

Here, a foto from a phono pre, using submini valves:

And here a link to a small amp with subminis (german only, sorry):

http://www.jogis-roehrenbude.de/Wettbewerb2/Gerd-Reinhoefer-Amp/index.htm

Yes, I use those TF-version, as I found them in my hobby box (samples).

And: I will use a regulated external supply, but I am still used, to apply 1000uF nearby the chip. The 500uF Panasonics are thinner but longer, dont fit in.

Franz

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.