Blackdog's 6 channel Brian GT amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all.

I've had several people ask me for photos of my 6 channel Gainclone that I built using Premium BrianGT kits. Well even though it's not entirely finished, I've taken some pics and posted them on my website .

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Transformers are 2 x 300VA 18V toroids.
I used 2 bridge boards, one for the 'left' set of channels, the other for the 'right'.
Power wiring is a pair from a CAT 5 cable used as a single wire.

Heatsinking is 2 huge alu tunnels mated together. They are designed such that they mate together, and a fan can then easily be mounted on each end. Even without fans, the heatsinking is excessive. (see my Mini-Clone!)

The case is a flat pack rack mount kit, and manages to contain all the parts, without looking especially nice. I'm thinking about mounting a nice piece of wood on the front to pretty it up a bit. I've yet to find some knobs that I like as well.

The 4 volume pots are cheapo carbon jobbies which I'd like to replace with the miniature Alpha pot from Jaycar, but am somewhat concerned that the short shafts won't be long enough for the thicker wood front.

The amp has been in active service for about 5 months, and it is generally switched on 24/7. I don't use the speakers in my TV ever anymore. - so this amp gets used for watching general TV (in stereo), DVDs (5 channels only, as I don't have a sub), SACDs, VHS videos, and high quality MP3s from my PC.

I'm happy with the sound, but am considering some modifications to improve the bass. I'm also toying with the idea of using the amp to tri-amp my speakers......just need to decide what to do about active crossovers. I also need to tidy some of the wiring, and add a proper chassis ground.....

Steve

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.