My latest subwoofer - a bridge opa549 built onto a piece of plexiglass

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
soundNERD said:

I have also tied the ref to current limit, then connected them both to ground. Be sure the pcb connection is good (use a multimeter on resistance mode, touch to the main gnd trace and touch the other side to the ref and current pins). I spent about an hour trying to figure out why another amp I built using an OPA549 wouldn't play anything. The trace on the PCB had split (small enough to not be visible easily), and the chip was stuck in off mode.

Are you using a split or single supply?

Im using a split supply at +/-25 VDC, but I have another transformer that has +30V only, but a bit more VA.

I will recheck all the ref and current connections, it does sound as if the chip is in off mode because there is no static at all coming from the speaker.

Thanks

ok I have found the problem... the Enable Status pin was grounded, which turns the amp off. :)

After fixing that the amp sounds great. It seems to have less noise (with no input) than the LM series. Seems to not be as affected by ground loops(?), I just had it all hooked up in a mess with zero 60hz hum.

The datasheet also shows how to build a variable current and voltage supply, which would be quite usefull.. Ill have to try it out soon.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.