Active crossover & buffer stage for a 5 channel amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm building a 5 channel GC based amp with a buffer input. I'm confused over a few things.

a) Where should the buffer be placed, before or after the active filter ?

b) Am I right in assuming there will be individual buffers for each of the 5 channels, since the source will be hooked up directly to the GC ?

c) If option b is right do I still require a preamp stage, other than to switch more than one source ?

Thankyou,
sunil

Hi,
you may require buffers both before and after the filter stages.
It depends on how you match the output and input impedances.
Medium length lines, say upto 5m, will need an output impedance of less than 600ohms but longer lines eg around a room will be better at less than 200ohms. Input impedance is usually recommended at more than 10 times the output impedance feeding it.
good researching & regards Andrew T.

Thanks for the replies. If I put the buffers just before the filter can I get away with the PS & GC cases which are 2 metres apart, yes that's 200 cm. It's a 8 channel amp & the tranny is BIG. The PS output will be regulated (all channels) but the distance to the GC...........

Thanks,
sunil

sunil said:
Yeah, thats what I thought. Guess I have to figure out something.

Thanks for all the help.
sunil

Place it near the amp, as close as you can. Even a separate housing in the same model on top of the amps enclosure can be a good option (the lenght of your cables will then be only 1 or 2 feet). If you cant place your PSU closer, try twisting your cables, but only as a last alternative. If you can fit it all in one enclosure, you could make a seperate section for you PSU by placing a piece of aluminium between PSU and the rest.

Greetz Mark

Hi Joensd,

I've made some boards with a buffer & BS included. Each board is a 2nd order. The buffer & BS board is separate for more flexibility. To get a 4th order I cascade 2 boards.

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the advise. I realize now, to get the best possible sound I have to keep the PS & amp close to each other. I'm thinking of one chassis. Quite complicated, since the 2 cases have already been made, separately.

cheers,
sunil

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.