Starting First Amp - Questions on Mono Block Design - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th December 2004, 09:09 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Starting First Amp - Questions on Mono Block Design

Got some questions about the mono block design. Using the BrainGT Kit.

Do you have your socket from the wall split and go into the transformers or do you need a socket for each?
For volume control but using a simple pot, can you hook both inputs to it as to have one volume control for both or do you need to hae seperate pots for each?
I read on DD that 80VA transformer is good for mono block? Seems a lot lower than other peoples 320VA and such I been reading.
Thanks in advance for any replies, can't wait to build this thing!
Old 11th December 2004, 10:02 PM   #2
XELB is offline XELB  Portugal
diyAudio Member

I don't know if I understood correctly.

You are asking if a 320VA transformer is better than a 80VA ?

In my opinion the 320VA is better because of regulation problems and you allways have more "energy".
I'm not a expert but I think with 320VA you can achive more RMS power and add large capacitor to your amp.(exemple 2x18.000nF versus 2x3300nF)
This way you can drive speakers that need a lot of "energy", such as Dynaudio, ATC, etc...
Old 11th December 2004, 11:19 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Starting First Amp - Questions on Mono Block Design

Quote:

Do you have your socket from the wall split and go into the transformers or do you need a socket for each?
One cable goes to the amp and splits to both transformers. Of course you can use two cables if you want, but it is not necessary.

Quote:

For volume control but using a simple pot, can you hook both inputs to it as to have one volume control for both or do you need to hae seperate pots for each?
If it is a stereo pot (6 connections, like this: Stereo Pot) then you can use it to control both channels. Input is one of the outside pins, output is the middle pin (wiper), and the last pin is ground. You could also use two seperate mono pots, if you wanted.

Here is a good site with connection diagrams: http://sound.westhost.com/pots.htm

Quote:

I read on DD that 80VA transformer is good for mono block? Seems a lot lower than other peoples 320VA and such I been reading.
Thanks in advance for any replies, can't wait to build this thing!
80VA is fine for monoblock (160VA total). A lot of people like to use larger values for whatever reason. It gives some headroom, maybe its only 5$ more, maybe they just happen to have it on hand (like me, I used some rediculus value like 280VA per channel, because thats what I had)

Old 12th December 2004, 02:00 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanks Thomas997 for answering all my questions, I got it now.

Hide this!Advertise here!