The European Triode Festival and Chipclones

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This are the words of an rewiever from the ETF:

Franz Gysi (Switzerland) presented his small back-loaded horns with Fostex drivers and his version of tube input Gainclone power amp. His system sounded very natural and comfortable.

Johannes LeBong (Germany) showed his Saba green cone loudspeaker in a special resonant enclosure. This system was extremely relaxed and detailed when listening to Nina Simone at small volumes, but did not like electronic pop like Portishead at higher levels.

Daniel Ciesinger (Germany) presented his small Cornu speakers in various versions, using 4 inch Fostex or 3 inch Cantare drivers. I never thought that such good bass could come from miniature woofers. His flat wall mount horn speakers are very special and took him years to refine. Of all horn speakers, these should have the best Wife Acceptance Factor by quite a margin.

Andreas Guhde (Germany) demonstrated a two way speaker with open baffle mid-treble and closed box woofer, which sounded natural and musical, too.

Not to bad, the response for a chipclone, at the TRIODE Festival!

If you have time, I recommend just to click to the photo gallery at

http://www.triodefestival.net/

You can see fotos like this: the walk in speaker...

http://www.triodefestival.net/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=449

And, when you see the BIG system: 7 Watt for the bass, 0.5 W for the mids, 0.5W for the highs. We had an earthquake in south Germany, at the event! Who knows about the true power of direct heated triodes :)

Happy ears!
Franz

Franz G said:
You can see fotos like this: the walk in speaker...

I see that he has a White Stripes LP leaning against the "speaker". :cool:

And, when you see the BIG system: 7 Watt for the bass, 0.5 W for the mids, 0.5W for the highs. We had an earthquake in south Germany, at the event! Who knows about the true power of direct heated triodes :)

Once I've finished fussing with my VBIGC, I'm gonna have to build a decent valve amp... :D

EDIT: Where are my manners?? Congratulations on the review, Franz! :)

Upupa

Why don't you visit the ETF next year? Please, you're welcome! It's not too far from you, I think. In 2006 it will be in Netherlands, so take the chance in 2005.

Why? I did like the most critical members of the ETF, from this people I can learn!

Maybe, you're right about the needed power for a big drum, its logarithmic and strongly dependent on the efficency of the speakers, isn't it? BTW: the (rare) earthquake at the same time was not produced by this speakers...

You should have the chance to listen to a stereorecording on the "Big System from the ETF"

The Big System

out of 1944, Bruckner conducted by the 30 years old Karajan, recorded in Berlin with 3 Neumann mic's on three tracks, Upupa!

Jean Hiraga presented this to us. He got back from Moscow three of the 200 recordings from Helmut Kürstner from this time.

Remember: the word STEREO was not invented at this decade!

Again: I hope to meet you at the next years event!

Franz

Franz, if I " catch " to this time to build somethig with tube, I will come. Be sure, that it will be something new, not something what saw already Kaiser Wilhelm ;) , although it's not easy, because, like my father said, all around tubes was developed to the year 50' ;) . And about this picture : Why are people sitting and listening in this empty room with this big distance ? Isn't better listening ( in this case ) in near field ?

but I was told that registration is quite limited and that it would be essentially impossible without an invitation. Is that the case or can I get in?

No secret, as I had the chance this year too, the first time.

It works like this: just 80 people, not more. Everyone participating this year has the first chance to subscribe for next year.

They will announce subscribment about september next year. So: stay tuned! Not everyone from this years members will participate next year.

Franz

P.S.
If you cannot subscribe and have something very new and for overall interest at the ETF 05 to present, write some message to me at this time and I try to convince the organizers, you must be a participant too.

And about this picture : Why are people sitting and listening in this empty room with this big distance ? Isn't better listening ( in this case ) in near field ?

It looks like a wide angle objective: they don't sit too far, must be about a "gleichseitiges" triangle (sorry, miss the word in english).

Really, try to come next year!

Franz

This is a teuton triode, not a helmet ;-) dear Upupa.

And the ceiling was not a horizonal one, it is under the roof: the baffles are not at 90 degrees, as you can recognise. The"outer" side is higher than the center of them.

It is definitely a wide angle foto. You can believe me, as I was there :)

Franz

The facts

Upupa wrote: Franz, do you know, that accoustical power of big drum is cca one hundred watts ?

And here the facts about the "big" system at the ETF 04:

Each channel of the system designed by Thomas Mayer has an efficiency around
110dB/1m/1W. Taking into account the power of the amplifiers the theorical
acoustical level we can obtain before clipping is approximately 113
decibels @1m (it is a rough estimation because differences exist from the
extreme low register to the mid-high). Let us take 113 decibels @1m like
the maximum reference level to consider for the adjustment of the maximum
volume of a system at ETF2004.

Franz

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.