loud hum w/ 1st Gainclone - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th December 2004, 08:42 AM   #21
Nuuk is offline Nuuk  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Did you re-measure the DC offset on the faulty channel?

Try to build your amp onto a piece of wood first. I can't recommend this method strongly enough as it makes fault finding much easier. Once it is working 100%, then is the time to build it into a fancy/compact case.
Old 5th December 2004, 12:47 AM   #22
diyAudio Member

Yep, it still is at -35VDC.

I whole heartedly support your idea of building the amp outside the box. I just wish I'd done that ;-)

Still waiting to hear from Brian Bell.

Thanks,
Bret Morrow
Old 8th December 2004, 07:50 AM   #23
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to demogorgon
Just wanted to let you know that theese chips do come faulty every once in a while.

my lm4700 (30W) amp had one faulty chip. i measure a almost direct short (2.9ohms) between the -rail and output witch results in you-know-what: -22V at the output. I'l have to send it back again, nothing i did wrong, i know: I sat for 4 hours on end trying to locate the mistake I'v made, but no shots anywhere, exept internally in the chip.

the chip altso got warm as hell when connected. if yours do to, then i suspect you'v got the same problem.

regards
marius
Old 8th December 2004, 03:10 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by demogorgon
Just wanted to let you know that theese chips do come faulty every once in a while.

my lm4700 (30W) amp had one faulty chip. i measure a almost direct short (2.9ohms) between the -rail and output witch results in you-know-what: -22V at the output. I'l have to send it back again, nothing i did wrong, i know: I sat for 4 hours on end trying to locate the mistake I'v made, but no shots anywhere, exept internally in the chip.

the chip altso got warm as hell when connected. if yours do to, then i suspect you'v got the same problem.

regards
marius
Thanks, I appreciate hearing this. A faulty chip is the only thing that I think it can be now. I've traced & retraced all the wires & tested everything I could think of looking for something--anything. The only indication of anything wrong is the output & input ends of the chip: -35VDC offset at the speakers & the 10VDC offset at the input.

Still waiting to hear from BrianGT--I think he must be away this week.

Cheers,
Bret Morrow
Old 8th December 2004, 03:21 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Default Correction!

Quote:
Originally posted by JazzzSpazzz

(SNIP)
Still waiting to hear from BrianGT--I think he must be away this week.
Correction, BrianGT contacted me.

Hide this!Advertise here!