What to expect?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Im hopefully going to be making my first chip amp (GC) in the next few weeks, my question is...

What can I expect in terms of sound quality?

I currently have Rotel 1070's running through some B&W's, will the chip amp come close to the sound quality im getting now?

Id like to think so, but it just seems crazy that a GC that cost about £50 to make would compare to a power amp that cost over £500...

daryll said:
Im hopefully going to be making my first chip amp (GC) in the next few weeks, my question is...

I currently have Rotel 1070's running through some B&W's, will the chip amp come close to the sound quality im getting now?

Id like to think so, but it just seems crazy that a GC that cost about £50 to make would compare to a power amp that cost over £500...

The potential of the GC can surpass certain expensive ClassA big blocks in the range that I heard of $4000cdn a pair! It is also about matching system too...It is a bit crazy really!

The Butcher

:D

This is exactly what I wanted to hear :D

When you say matching system, is the most important consideration the speakers and their sensitivity?

Ive read that GC's seem to prefer solid core speaker cable, I have some DNM which will hopefully do the job nicely.

$4000! That is impressive! And im sure the 1070's arent that much better than the 1062's so I should be in for a treat :)

I supose its hard to expect much, given the price and simplicity, no matter how many times you read it.

Thanks for your relpys :)

daryll said:

My plain little first try chip amp that cost no more than $120 AUD made a borrowed Rotel sound like fingernails on a chalkboard. (Apologies to the owner, should he ever read this...)

The main complaint I have with my chip amp is congestion when the music gets busy and loud. Otherwise it is a superbly detailed and lovely sounding amp.

well, i guess i'm really the naysayer here, but i was'nt at all very impressed by my first meeting with the GC. it was flat, dead and undynamic, at least that was my firstimpression. the amp altso sounded as if the highs were being strangled in some way.

probably my amp that is FUBAR, but this is my impression regardless.
a friend of mine have bought 4 lm 4780 kits from brian gt, so it will be fun to hear that bird sing.

regards
marius

ok, i retract my previous statement.

this bird sings as well, it just needed a little breaking inn i suppose, anyways it sounds a lot better on my "main rigg" hooked up to my pc.
the mids really have opned up, and more dynamic and detail have peeked out as well! after the three hours it's been on, it now actually sounds considerably better then the old amp witch was in a whole different leauge those three hours ago..
(eatch amp has one speaker eatch, thats how i know..)

I actually get goosbumps listening to my favourite albums again!

Nuuk said:

It's intersting the different experiences that GC builders have regarding this 'burning in' process!

The experience seems to differ quite a bit from builder to builder and I wonder what factors may cause this.

Obviously, the use of pre-used components will be a factor but what else? :xeye:

well, i don't have an answer for you, but i have noticed simelar thing when it comes to burning in computer cpu's. my amd xp1700jihub (quite a legend) did 2.1ghz on 1.8v from the start, yet after burn in at 2.3v for 3 days it now does 2.3ghz at 1.8v so it seems that is is a common trait for semiconductors.
there are those who claim this is the effect ot the elctrones "evening out" the internal "wiering" in lack of a better word, inside teh chip i question. this may be the same for both GC's and CPU's.

I went for the stereo kit as I will only have to buy a single transformer. I need to save my pennies otherwise the missus will start complaining. Reading these boards I haven't really come across any info saying that monoblocs are significantly better than the stereo kit. And I can always add another transformer later on if needs be.

Best of luck with the building. I've heard some great things about this kit.

Mike

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.