Brian GT NIGC, Power supply voltage

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

My NIGC is almost done, but I need to be sure that my power supply board is OK. When I measure the voltage from V+ to +PGND on my power supply board, I get 73V :xeye:
I was wondering if it's OK :confused:

I use a Plitron toroidal transformer (2 x 22V @300VA).

Thanks for your help

Nuuk said:
Actually, each rail should be about 31-32 VDC. It does seem strange that you have 73!

Disconnect the PSU section from the PCB and measure your voltages (AC) after the trasnformer, then the rails coming off the rectifiers bridges. ;)

Hi,

I already took some measure after the transformer and I got 24VAC (I dont understand why I don't get 22).

When reading your post, Ijust saw that you said 31-32 VDC. When I said 73V, it was 73 VAC ..... Maybe a beginner mistake :rolleyes:

Please let me know if I should measure the VDC instead of the VAC !

Thanks !

Nuuk said:

Your mains voltage is possibbly a little higher.

Yes, after the rectifier bridge which changes the AC into DC, you should be measuring with your meter set to DC. ;)

Thanks a lot !

I took the time to read a part of your guide and the answer to my question was there :smash:

I will finish to read it and this will prevent me from asking other basic questions ;)

Thanks a lot !

Nuuk said:

Your mains voltage is possibbly a little higher.

Yes, after the rectifier bridge which changes the AC into DC, you should be measuring with your meter set to DC. ;)

Hi,

I have a last question. The power supply board is already connected to the each channel PCB. I could cut the wire to measure the VDC, but I'm wondering if the measures I took (3 days ago) from V+ to +PGND and V- to -PGND (both 73VAC) could tell me that the power supply is well assembled ? (It's a very simple assembly and I really dont think that I maid a mistake) Any possibble calculation that I could use :confused:

If not, I'll cut the wire :bawling:

Thanks again !

Daniel

Peter Daniel said:
Cut the wires, or better desolder them. I'd like to avoid sending replacement chips ;)

OK, I wont be lazy :D

I'll probably cut the wire as it wont be easy for me to desolder them...I'm not very good at that and don't have these little pump used to remove the old solder.

Thanks Peter !

When the amp. will be up and running, I'll post a little review !

Regards,

Hi,

I finally decided to desolder the wire and measured the VDC. It was 33.7VDC

I soldered the wires and decided to connect the amp. to my PC and some little DIY monitor I have (TB full range drivers).

Bingo ! The two channels work well :)

I'll do the appropriate burn-in and order a volume control. By the time I'll receive the attenuator, the amp. will be ready for a real listening test ;) I look forward to compare it to my new amp., a Rogue Tempest Magnum (kt88). This will be fun for sure !

Thanks again !

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.