Spliting the input signal? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd November 2004, 06:41 AM   #1
rs1026 is offline rs1026  India
diyAudio Member

Default Spliting the input signal?

First of all I would like to thank all the members of this forum for all the help.It is from here that I derived my inspiration to design my own PCB for lm3886 based amp.After going through all these forums.(I took some 2-3 months just to see whats going on here)I designed my own PCB,it was a good design in the sense there is absoulutely no hum.Having built one channel I moved on to build another channel and now I have a good sounding lm3886 based amp capable of driving two channels.

Having come till here I want to go one step further by adding a sub woofer.But I have a doubt.

At present the way I am using my amps is I am spliting the signal from the input source. My input sources are viz.
line out of PC,head phone output of CD player and TV.I dont have a pre amp and I dont want to build a pre amp immediately.I swtich these sources manually i.e i just disconnect the wires from one source and connect it to other source.

The input from these sources comes through a (1+1)sheilded wire.And inside the amp chasis I am taking prallel connection to drive two channels.So from outside it looks like just a single wire is going into the amp chasis and at the output I have coonectors for hooking the speakers.

Now my question is can I use similar method and hook a sub woofer in similar fashion.I will use a dedicated amp and a filter for the sub.But the input signal will still be from any of the sources mentioned above.I will take a parallel connection to drive a sub.

To summarize input comes from PC/TV/CD player I will take parallel connections to drive two channels and a sub woofer.

Can some one please let me know if the input signal can be split this way is there a better way to do this. Please give me your inputs.
Old 23rd November 2004, 11:23 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

U will have to assemble a subwoofer filter for connecting ur subwoofer amp.
The subwoofer amp has to be atleast 3 to 4 times more powerful in Wattage than the other amp(s)
Old 18th April 2007, 02:12 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Unhappy Sorry to revive an old thread

hi there,
sorry to revive an old thread, but I thought that'd be a better option than creating an entirely new one.

I have a problem that is somewhat related (I believe). I'm not using any DIY components, but I have an input split question.

I have a multi-input receiver that I'm using to drive DVD, VCR, TV, PC.

The TV only has a mono audio out signal. Is there any electronic reason that I can't simply split this signal and feed it into both the left and right inputs of the receiver. I know you shouldn't connect to outputs together, but I can't think of any reason that 2 inputs can't be connected.

Just thought I'd check for sure before I connect to my receiver.

Thanks.
Old 18th April 2007, 05:11 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

It is allowed and nothing will go wrong.

Gajanan phadte
Old 18th April 2007, 05:12 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gmphadte
It is allowed and nothing will go wrong.

Gajanan phadte
cheers mate

Hide this!Advertise here!